Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2011, 02:21 AM

Default Buffer Size Delay Question

This might seem like a dumb question but here goes!!

If I record a take (bass/vocals/gtr etc) at 48k with the buffer at 1024, does the track physically get recorded 1024 samples late? Like, let's say a bass player does a take that sounds perfectly in time to a click. Upon playback, will I actually hear it later than what we heard while recording? (ya ya, I know the obvious answer is that I should hear bad timing blah blah- bear with me here!!)

The reason I ask is because a guy that works out of my studio has asked me this a few times and I didn't really know the answer. I've never really worried too much about it or noticed but it's driving him crazy wondering if it would make more sense to track at a buffer setting of 128. He constantly wonders if the click they're playing to makes them essentially play behind due to the sample delay. I am guessing it puts the track in the right position but I've never actually thought about it. I imagine that the click is also delayed by 1024 samples so essentially, if the musician played to the click, it should all line up, no?

We monitor with zero latency in the 2626's mixer.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:02 PM

Default Re: Buffer Size Delay Question

The buffer delay is compensated in PT.
This means that, if you record perfectly in time with the click, the track will be aligned with the click. No matter which buffer size you use.
Here comes the big HOWEVER:
However, if you let your bass player record with 1024 samples buffer and monitor through the software, he will hear his own signal heavily delayed, which will totally put him off...
So, to my knowledge: If you use hardware monitoring, you can use whatever sample size you like. If you use software monitoring, you have to use low buffer sizes during tracking.

Cheers,

Andy