Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2010, 10:23 AM

Default i need fellow DAW users input!

Hi i am doing a technical report on Pro Tools and a section of my report focuses on a 'Critique of Pro Tools compared with other direct audio workstations'.

i am asking you guys for your opinions on pro tools compared with others from your own personal experiences. Anything helpful really. technical differences down to marketing issues with other providers.

your help will be greatly appreciated and you will be noted in my bibliography.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:04 AM

Default Re: i need fellow DAW users input!

Its actually Digital Audio Workstation. I sat thru a blind listening test where projects were recorded to several DAW system(including Pro Tools HD, Logic Pro and Nuendo) and the final outcome was that no one could perceive any quality difference between platforms(given the same playback system and D>A conversion). My 2 cents is; the technical differences are mostly meaningless(regarding how the software handles audio). Of course, higher sample rates create audible improvement for many, but that's not a function of any particular DAW. Its the skill of the engineer that makes the biggest difference in final quality(pretty much the way its always been). What continues to sell me on Pro Tools is simply the work-flow. I could have chosen ANY system and the choice was driven by the prevalence of Pro Tools in the biz, and the fact that Pro Tools is cross-platform. And its a choice I don't regret or second-guess myself on at all. I have even converted some other die-hard users of other systems to switch after they watched how efficiently I work in PT. Having said this, I also think that learning ANY DAW is actually tougher once you have learned any OTHER(old habits die hard)

tip of the hat to KB

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-26-2010, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepasylum View Post
Hi i am doing a technical report on Pro Tools and a section of my report focuses on a 'Critique of Pro Tools compared with other direct audio workstations'.

i am asking you guys for your opinions on pro tools compared with others from your own personal experiences. Anything helpful really. technical differences down to marketing issues with other providers.

your help will be greatly appreciated and you will be noted in my bibliography.
Pro Tools is great at two things...Marketing and making an easy to use program..Other than that, the difference in quality aren't at all audible. It's really about individual taste of workflow, or compatibility issues with others (if you work on projects that touch many hands as most do) For that one reason, PT is superior..It is THE standard. Depending on the version ppl are using, you will get complaints..which there in lays one of its biggest failures IMHO....PRICE..For less the money you can get a DAW with more features and a wider net of compatibility at the entry /hobbyist level. (Read LE)..Nowdays, the big complaint is the lack of 64bit code and drivers..which other DAWS are already offering.

At the end of the day I do like PT..Its one fancy mixing board..and that is all I really want it to be..It's really cool that I can now with some efficiency compose with it using VI's and the such. But you can really accomplish the same thing you can with PT in any other DAW..Just depends on if you want to be part of the in crowd or not really.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:51 PM

It's funny how every person i talk to says, "Oh... it only sounds good in Pro Tools"

This isn't the case at all, even when bouncing audio down from FL Studio doesn't make any difference either, unless you listen for days and days, trying to pin point the little details.

I've had to tell soo many people that you can get the same sound in any other program, they still didn't trust me, it's only because they're ignorant to the PT market and also the fact that it's used by almost everybody in the industry.

Everybody is using it because it has the best workflow which i believe it's better than any other DAW, not to mention the midi which i think Digi nailed first try. The midi editor is even better than FL Studio's, Sonar's and Cubase's and i wouldn't be surprised if it was better than Logic's aswell. PT has the smart tool which is soo handy, some people hate it, but only the people who go wayyyy back with PT because i think the smart tool was only introduced in 6?? not sure. Also, PT is the best when it comes to sketching out your productions!

Not sure what else to say, but once you go Pro Tools, you don't go back because you won't want to and if you did you'd say, "Oh man... if only this had what PT had... darn it" If said that many times.

Peace.
FL Studio - 9.0.3
Midi controllers - Behringer BCF 2000 - M-Audio Keystation 61es

Dan-Jay