Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2003, 05:07 PM

Default Master Volume NO really GOOD in Protools?

After I finish editing, mixing and kind of mastering a a few songs for the past year, I compared the VOLUME from my version of a pop song and the original, I noticed a HUGE ( no big) Huge difference on the Volume and quality. I mean I don't expect protools software to do a purely professional job on sound, but I noticed it doesn't get to close to it. I when thru the Mastering steps from a good book. I used all kinds of plugins L2 etc.. I liked the results but when I compared with the original, I was'nt happy.

Is there anything I can read , learn and try as many times as I need to get the Volume and sound quality much better than what I have? Or, Protools and digi002 is limited to certain volume setting? I have a great Mic and decent software.

Thanks GUYS.
G.
Old 10-15-2003, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Master Volume NO really GOOD in Protools?

sounds like you went to town with the compressor and lost dynamics. Mastering is a subtle compression (1.25 to 2) to beef it up. Too much and the sound loses too much gain and souns muddy.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 10-15-2003, 05:17 PM

Also make sure you use your dither when lowering sample rates - Did you record at higher than 16bit 44.1 and then bounce to that? If so you should use dither plug in on master fader. And if need be, normalize your final mixed file to acheive max volume.
Old 10-15-2003, 05:41 PM

Dither has nothing to do with sample rate. It's used when you reduce bit depth. For instance, going from 24-bit to 16-bit.

Of course, you typically do both at the same time if you record at higher than 44.1Khz on Pro Tools.

Quote:
Also make sure you use your dither when lowering sample rates - Did you record at higher than 16bit 44.1 and then bounce to that? If so you should use dither plug in on master fader. And if need be, normalize your final mixed file to acheive max volume.

Old 10-15-2003, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Yes, I did, Record at 24 bit. Also I added Dither to the master fader. But I didn't normalize. I will try that. Thanks.
Old 10-15-2003, 08:50 PM

What do you mean "normalize"? Where?
Old 10-15-2003, 09:14 PM

Unless you've lowered the ceiling on L2 (which would be the last thing you'd want to do when high output is your aim), then you're already normalized.

I don't find it all that hard to get that big commercial sound in Protools, but I rarely want to take it that far. You can compress a lot on a master fader, but it takes a lot of familiarity with a multiband compressor like C4 to keep it from pumping or becoming fatiguing, and then of course a good peak limiter to shave the spikes.
Old 10-15-2003, 10:57 PM

personally I like taking the final mix and using it twice. I have one track of the mix that I put therw all of my mastering pluggins and the whole deal. This one almost always comes out sounding much louder but it lacks the attack that the original had. So I take the original final mix and mix it back in with the track that went threw all the processing. This seems to give the best blend of original and processed for me. You just have to remember to adjust for pluggin latency otherwise it will sound really bad.
Old 10-16-2003, 08:46 AM

personally, I wish that there would be a massive revolt against this "louder is better" mentality. Its no wonder common folks are so into their bad sounding mp3s, they are already used to that squashed lifeless, square wave sound of overly slammed, brickwall limited sound of the "louder and better" cds.
I know it is possible to up the volume of your mix, I do it all the time and my masters are nice and loud... but does this mean its better? Nope.
Alas, its not going to happen, as it is pretty much standard these days, but it doesnt stop me from wishing that folks would just use the volume knob on their stereos to listen to some nice, clean, full sounding mixes, instead of the flat out, 1 dimensional barrage of music that has had the life sucked out of it.
But when in Rome...
Anyway, there are ways to do it. I dont really like the idea of putting plugs on my master fader. I like to mix, bounce to stereo, then open up a new master session where I apply my limiters and other effects. Placing your mastering effects on the master fader seems to skew the mixdown process for me - I would rather have them be two separate processes.
It works for me, but everyone has their own method.

And by the way Calvin, your idea sounds pretty good. I will have to give that a try sometimes...
Old 10-16-2003, 09:10 AM

Quote:
personally, I wish that there would be a massive revolt against this "louder is better" mentality. Its no wonder common folks are so into their bad sounding mp3s, they are already used to that squashed lifeless, square wave sound of overly slammed, brickwall limited sound of the "louder and better" cds.

Now everybody..how low, can you go