Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 07-31-2014, 12:18 PM

Default PT Bug with not recognizing the Omni

Hello,

I've read about this elsewhere but it is still a bug. If I happen to be using the core audio manager to listen to iTunes or something on YouTube and I launch ProTools while it is still active, ProTools will then fail to recognize the Omni. When I go to the hardware set up in the ProTools session it's simply shows nothing except a button to "launch set up app". When I launch the set up app it shows HD native in the left-hand column but it says 0 in/0 out. If I right click on it it does not give me the option to use this device for sound output. There is an option for ProTools aggregate but I don't think that's the correct one.

I had this happen once before and by sheer dumb luck I managed to crack the Da Vinci code and I got it working again. But I can't remember what I did. I've gone into system preferences sound and I've also gone into the audio MIDI setup to select the ProTools HD native and nothing is working. And of course I've tried restarting and shutting down after I've made what I think are the correct selections. Obviously I should just try to remember to not launch ProTools when I have the core audio manager running but too late now!

PT 11.2 HD Native Omni
Mac OSX 10.9.3

Thanks for any help,

Dave
Old 07-31-2014, 01:20 PM

Default Re: PT Bug with not recognizing the Omni

I'm not sure I'd call this a bug. It is a known fact that you can only use HD Native (or any HD system) for one thing at a time. You must close it out from being used for anything else before launching Protools, or it may cause confusion as you have seen. The old 003 was this way as well.

You can save yourself a lot of trouble by simply using the Omni's mixer function, and getting a digital cable to go from your Mac to the digital input of the Omni. That way you can have your computer sounds always available in the Omni and your monitors/headphones, regardless of whether Protools is open or not.

You could use an analog cable as well, but you'll enjoy the sound more by going digital and using the Omni's conversion. You will need and optical spidf cable that is a 1/8 mini jack on one end, and the other end terminates in normal optical jack, or a coaxial spidf jack (in which you can then use a digital coax to optical converter - cheap on amazon.com). You might also contact redco.com and see if they can make a custom cable for you.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:28 PM

Default Re: PT Bug with not recognizing the Omni

That makes sense. Thanks for the info. If I use the cable like that does that mean I could run iTunes while running ProTools?