Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 04-07-2013, 09:05 PM

Default Re: CPTK gone in PT11

Once again they screw the users who bought these stupid toolkits.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:07 PM

Default Re: Now it's time for the PT10 + CPTK users to fork it over

I was so excited until I saw that little caveat.

What I'm wondering is what it's gonna cost me total as a CPTK + PT10 Academic user.

So much for 4 years of free upgrades.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Where would you put it? 5 months? then those who bought it at 5 months+1day would cry foul. 6 months? same deal, 7 months? Same deal etc etc etc. It's basically a somewhat arbitrary call I would suspect.
I don't know the answer to that. I would say 3 months. But on Feb 27th this year.....FIVE weeks ago.....I paid $300 to upgrade to 10. Don't you think I would have waited if I knew something was coming? Basically one month friend. And now to get 11 I must pay another $300...totaling $600.........while someone who never upgraded to 10 from 9, only pays a total of $400......and someone who also didn't make the move.......now sees a great opportunity to go buy 10 tomorrow......and get 11 free.

You cannot tell me this is fair......it even feels unethical. I have been with Pro Tools since v4.

Quote:
When was it announced? Did the announcement give enough time to new purchaser that was going to buy it to wait?
No! In my mind.......no. But I also understand the need for corporate secrecy etc. But the very cool thing to do would be to grandfather people in for say 3 months back OR give the $200 break to them. Not to people who never even upgraded to 10 in the first place.

In days past....the upgrades were always around $99. Like from 5-6, 6-7 and 7-8....as far as I remember. PT9 was the first big $299 upgrade from what I recall.
2TB Solid State Drive
Thunderbolt 4
Sonoma 14.1.2
Pro Tools 2023.9
Universal Audio Apollo 8P (TB3 Option Card installed)
Old 04-07-2013, 09:34 PM

Please. Relax. CPTK users got a free ride last time going to PT10 for $299. I'm disappointed, too, but let's get real about what it costs to produce something like Pro Tools 11.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:36 PM

I had the same thought. As a PT10 and CPTK2 owner I will have to pay $999 to upgrade instead of $299. It seems a little unfair. But what's the difference between PT11 and PT11HD? The only thing I can see is the new meters. Is that it?

www.spoonsound.com
Old 04-07-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Dogg View Post
I don't know the answer to that. I would say 3 months. But on Feb 27th this year.....FIVE weeks ago.....I paid $300 to upgrade to 10. Don't you think I would have waited if I knew something was coming? Basically one month friend. And now to get 11 I must pay another $300...totaling $600.........while someone who never upgraded to 10 from 9, only pays a total of $400......and someone who also didn't make the move.......now sees a great opportunity to go buy 10 tomorrow......and get 11 free.

You cannot tell me this is fair......it even feels unethical. I have been with Pro Tools since v4.
Tale tale signs were in the air a month+ ago about pt 11 coming out soon, either at nab or namm. You had the choice to wait until either of those date. I'm not saying this to be mean and against you. Just that it applies to any one that buys an audio software so close to Nab or Namm. They always get bit in the rear because they didn't choose to wait until those time. I'd say (and it's been said before) if you're a month or two to nab or namm, don't buy wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Dogg View Post
No! In my mind.......no. But I also understand the need for corporate secrecy etc. But the very cool thing to do would be to grandfather people in for say 3 months back OR give the $200 break to them. Not to people who never even upgraded to 10 in the first place.

In days past....the upgrades were always around $99. Like from 5-6, 6-7 and 7-8....as far as I remember. PT9 was the first big $299 upgrade from what I recall.
I understand what you are saying, but at the same time those that updated 6 or 7 or even a year ago, got to use their software for a good amount of time before 11 comes out. It's not out yet it will be somewhere in q 2. Rumors say may, others June I don't know, it's true we (mods) don't. So it gives up to 2 to 3 more months for those people to use it. On the other hand you and others that just bought it (refer to my earlier point) are the one stuck in the middle, which is not fun I agree, but as you yourself agree in some part, there's no easy date to give. There will always be someone left out no matter which dates are picked.

Wave-T.com
Old 04-07-2013, 09:41 PM

So if I spend $999 upgrading PT10 + CPTK just to keep the features I've already paid extra to have do I get more than 32 I/O????
Old 04-07-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankin View Post
So if I spend $999 upgrading PT10 + CPTK just to keep the features I've already paid extra to have do I get more than 32 I/O????
You get actually more than what you have right now. New options, a new 64 bit program to access your full rams, new metering options etc etc etc etc etc etc. Yes some of these IE off line bounce, 64 bit, are also included in vanilla PT but it's still worth mentioning it. I'll get back (or an other mod) in touch about the I/O as I don't have the answer to this one. If you don't get the answer tonight, maybe you'll get it (hoefully) tomorrow in the video conference.

Wave-T.com
Old 04-07-2013, 09:48 PM

Friend.......I did not have that choice because I did not know. I work in television and film production. I work 12 plus hour days as a rigger......hard days, on my feet, up high, carrying heavy stuff etc etc etc. I come home beat. I have been so busy I have not had time to keep up with advances in DAW's etc. I don't get to go to audio conventions and I have not even had time to keep up with the forum.

The reason I bought 10 was because a friend asked me to score a film. I wanted to have the latest and I thought it would handle bigger VI counts. It didn't. I also got Symphobia. But I would not even have gone 10 but for this scoring gig opening up. No way I can afford this next $300 now and on principle........well......I won't go there.

So because I was not spending all my time trying to figure out when something new from Avid was coming out, I guess that automatically excludes me?

I'm not fighting you......just saying.

I bought PT10 from the Avid store. If there were tell tale signs of an 11 release.........why nothing there about it?

It just sucks is all. Very disappointing. A month and days friend. Some people have it worse......9 days. Maybe even less than that. It's not the same as people who have had it a year. I would have waited. Anyone would have.
2TB Solid State Drive
Thunderbolt 4
Sonoma 14.1.2
Pro Tools 2023.9
Universal Audio Apollo 8P (TB3 Option Card installed)
Old 04-07-2013, 09:54 PM

Quote:
You get actually more than what you have right now. New options, a new 64 bit program to access your full rams, new metering options etc etc etc etc etc etc. Yes some of these IE off line bounce, 64 bit, are also included in vanilla PT but it's still worth mentioning it. I'll get back (or an other mod) in touch about the I/O as I don't have the answer to this one. If you don't get the answer tonight, maybe you'll get it (hoefully) tomorrow in the video conference.
I'm aware of the "standard" PT 11 updates and have no issue paying for them....my issue is that as someone who has owned the MPTK, then the DV Toolkit 2, and now the CPTK it sucks that the money spent on those basically counts for nothing. So if I'm now going to have to spend 1,000 just to maintain the current "extra" features I have that's pretty crappy. Hopefully they took the I/O limitations off.