Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2019, 01:16 PM

Default A/B Two Tracks

Is there a way to A/B two tracks in Pro Tools? I am not talking about using the X-Or with Solo. I need to reverse the mutes on two track to listen in the context of a mix. The tracks are duplicates, but processed differently. Maybe I am looking at it the wrong way, but being able to reverse the mutes would make this real easy.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:26 PM

Default Re: A/B Two Tracks

Select both tracks, solo one, then press Shift+S or mute one and press Shift+M
Old 04-21-2019, 01:57 PM

Thanks, that worked. Couldn't use Solo for this but the Shift M worked for reversing the Mutes. I thought I had tried this but I see I did not have the tracks selected correctly. I see that the clips themselves must be selected, not just the tracks.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:10 PM

Somewhat related, the plugin sample magic AB is an affordable and convenient A/B for reference tracks and you can store the reference files in it as a preset. I recommend setting ref tracks to like -15db so you’re not smashing your mix buss to match loudness of red tracks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2019, 08:42 AM

Here's an alternative method that I always use. Don't know how clear it is from this screengrab :http://duc.avid.com/attachment.php?a...1&d=1556033759

- Create 2 tracks, each with mix1 and mix2 on
- Send output of mix1 to bus x
- Select input of mix2 to bus x
- Use "I" button (input monitor) on mix2 to compare 2 mixes in real time. Or, as an alternative, put mix2 track into record ready and use "alt-k" to flick between 2 mixes.

This probably sounds like a faff, bit it isn't really, especially if you have a RTD track in input anyway. I'm always comparing the mix I have now with where I was say, an hour ago, or last night, or last week, or last year. (Etc)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 16.35.37.jpg (38.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-24-2019, 05:16 PM

I have a print track set up in my template and I do use this quite a bit with the Input selector, but I mostly use the X-Or option on Solo to A/B between two stereo mixes. However, the Shift M is really what I was looking for. In this situation I was not comparing two mixes. I had a duplicate vocal on another track. One vocal had some tuning corrections and processing slightly different from the other vocal track. I wanted to A/B them within the context of the other tracks.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:14 PM

Is Nugen's AB Assist still free for Pro Tools users?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 04-25-2019, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackone View Post
I have a print track set up in my template and I do use this quite a bit with the Input selector, but I mostly use the X-Or option on Solo to A/B between two stereo mixes. However, the Shift M is really what I was looking for. In this situation I was not comparing two mixes. I had a duplicate vocal on another track. One vocal had some tuning corrections and processing slightly different from the other vocal track. I wanted to A/B them within the context of the other tracks.
Ha yes makes sense. I read "A/B two tracks" in your original post as "A/B two-track", my fault for not reading correctly