Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 02-21-2019, 01:21 AM

Default Update from 2018.10 to 2018.12 using full installer?

Hello,

I have Pro Tools Ultimate and had a support / update plan. It looks like the plan "expired" [improperly, it seems]. Called Avid and they tried to sell me a $999.00 renewal or something.

However, the guy said I could update my 2018.10 version to the 2018.12 version anyway, since it was apparently released before the alleged expiration. However, the application manager won't let me do it. I believe he said just go to the download site and download it and update that way.

However....., on the download site it is a full installer. I am wondering what will happen if I run the full installer. Will it update my software, or nuke it and replace it? I am a little leery because there is some kind of verbiage on the download site saying that new versions will not run unless there is an active update plan in place, or something like that.

Anyone know about this stuff?

Thanks,

mighty duck

Last edited by mightyduck; 02-21-2019 at 01:47 AM.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:16 AM

Default Re: Update from 2018.10 to 2018.12 using full installer?

If your iLok license has the 2018.12 version included then just download the installer euther from your Avid Account where it will be under ”my products and subscriptions” or from the Appman.

If you are using a Mac you can run the installer straight over the older version but if you use a PC then you need to do a full uninstall before updating.

The ”full” installer is whats been used for quite some time now and it overwrites the DAW software (ProTools) only and leave all plugins and saved folders for sessions alone. And the text regarding that you need to be on an active plan I never seen. You have a Perpetual license kow after the expiration and you can use it at the last version allowed by your ilok license for as long as you want.

I believe some confusion due to the difference between ”subscription” (monthly) which needs a plan to run as it is not a Perp license and a Support Plan which is per year and not called subscription and this will turn into a Perpetual license if you let the plan lapse after the expiration time.

So go ahead and download 2018.12 and take notice of correct installation steps depending on OS system used here.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 02-21-2019, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
If your iLok license has the 2018.12 version included then just download the installer euther from your Avid Account where it will be under ”my products and subscriptions” or from the Appman.

If you are using a Mac you can run the installer straight over the older version but if you use a PC then you need to do a full uninstall before updating.

The ”full” installer is whats been used for quite some time now and it overwrites the DAW software (ProTools) only and leave all plugins and saved folders for sessions alone. And the text regarding that you need to be on an active plan I never seen. You have a Perpetual license kow after the expiration and you can use it at the last version allowed by your ilok license for as long as you want.

I believe some confusion due to the difference between ”subscription” (monthly) which needs a plan to run as it is not a Perp license and a Support Plan which is per year and not called subscription and this will turn into a Perpetual license if you let the plan lapse after the expiration time.

So go ahead and download 2018.12 and take notice of correct installation steps depending on OS system used here.

Thanks, man. Yeah, my Avid account shows 2018.12.

btw, not sure what you meant by "and a Support Plan which is per year and not called subscription and this will turn knto a Perp license if you let the plan lapse after the expiration time."

Also, what kind of access does AVID have to our iLok accounts. I believe I had a Perpetual version of the Complete Plugin Bundle, but the guy I talked to got weird and said it would not be that. The whole thing is screwy because, due to screw ups in the way the system and info was delivered, it should not even be expired. And my "Complete Plugin bundle" wasn't even provided until months after the fact. I guess I'll have to chase those issues down separately.

Oh, here's the language on the download page I was talking about:

"Licensing and Activation

The ability to launch Pro Tools software is dependent on the status of your Upgrade and Support Plan on the date this software version was released. Pro Tools 2018.10 was released October 11, 2018
Please read the How to Update Your License page before upgrading to this release."

Thanks again.

Best,

mighty duck

Last edited by mightyduck; 02-21-2019 at 04:06 AM.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:41 AM

That is the exact thing we covered by checking that you were on the plan when PT2018.12 came out which entitles you to install and run that version without a current/active plan.

Regarding the highlighted words was just if that was the text you saw on the website regarding needing to be on an active plan. If you had a subscription based version (which we now know you don’t) you would need to have an active plan to use the PT version paid monthly but as you have Ultimate aka HD this is not affecting your update.

So you can install 2018.12 but thats the last version you can use unless you reinstate the Support Plan for PTUltimate $999 as Avid support told you.

Best of Luck! Now go make good music on PT2018.12

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 02-22-2019, 12:44 AM

Yeah, well they say the "plan" expired on January 6th, 2019 or something like that. But the plugins / licenses were not deposited to the account until May 2nd, 2018. So I got nowhere near a year of use there.

Seems to me that its total b.s. to deactivate the plugins, and they could definitely allow a regular renewal of the plan [support which I have never, ever used even once, btw], for the lower fee.

Who do I talk to at AVID about this fiasco?

Best,

mightyduck
Old 03-09-2019, 12:04 PM

You should have gotten renewal notices in my.avid.com and Avid Application Manager. We also send several emails out prior to expiration. Avid CS could check our system for these if desired (I couldn't find an account based on your DUC email to check).

For the PT version, please check the Release Limit date of your license/bundle in iLok License Manager (right+click > Details) to make sure that is equal to/later than the release date of the PT version you want to run.

As far as bonus plug-ins, the Avid Complete Plug-In Bundle simply replaced the Pro Tools HD Plan so you should have still had access to plug-ins while the Upgrade and Support Plan was active even prior to the new bundle being rolled in.

Hope this helps.