Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2016, 05:16 PM

Default Changing Tempo, Click Track and Beginning Record

Hello all, I'm a bit new to the site, but I can't seem to find other people talking about this situation, so I figured I would start a new thread. I've been working on a mashup project with a band that has several different tempo changes throughout. I have found that beginning my recording right on the tempo change often leaves me with a chopped first note, and if I want to begin recording before the tempo change, it gives me the previous click track tempo.

I suppose my question is this. Is there a way to begin recording at or before a tempo change, with the musician playing as soon as the recording starts, without chopping the beginning and also getting the proper click track tempo?
Old 01-26-2016, 08:10 PM

Default Re: Changing Tempo, Click Track and Beginning Record

Leave yourself a couple of countoff measures. You can choose to ignore them during mix when you highlight before you bounce to disc.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:08 AM

Default Re: Changing Tempo, Click Track and Beginning Record

The usual way to handle this is to print 2 bars of the click at the new tempo (very fast with offline commit or bounce), then back time that chunk to the downbeat (control-command-click the region), and you're off. Of course you'll need to mute the old tempo click in that area.

Many of us like to print/commit click before a session for exactly this reason; insertions at tempo changes are much easier.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6