Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 02-15-2012, 03:17 PM

Question Does Pro Tools 9 have sounds!?

Hey whats up?

I was wondering if PT9 has a lot of sounds, loops, and instruments that are enough to make instrumentals and beats (good quality). I currently have Pro Tools SE and am thinking about upgrading to PT9-10 ( I have a post regarding this).

My main question was, is pro tools as good as Fruity loops or other PRODUCTION/MUSIC CREATION softwares?? PT seems to be the best for recordings but is it good to create music also??
Old 02-15-2012, 08:53 PM

Default Re: Does Pro Tools 9 have sounds!?

For me, the only add-on I needed was a good drum plugin(Addictive Drums is a great budget choice). The other included instruments like DB33 and MiniGrand are both very good. Hybrid can be had cheap if you buy it used. Structure Free is a good basic sampler. BOOM is okay for what it does(just not something i use very often).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-16-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyd38 View Post
Hey whats up?

I was wondering if PT9 has a lot of sounds, loops, and instruments that are enough to make instrumentals and beats (good quality). I currently have Pro Tools SE and am thinking about upgrading to PT9-10 ( I have a post regarding this).
I would compare the sounds from the Avid Creative Collection to a keyboard workstation. Lot's of goodies that in the right hands can make radio ready music. The separation comes with Acoustic instruments. If you need more realistic sounding instruments and articulations, then 3rd party VI's like EWQL and Kontakt are imperative.

Quote:
My main question was, is pro tools as good as Fruity loops or other PRODUCTION/MUSIC CREATION softwares?? PT seems to be the best for recordings but is it good to create music also??
When you say creating music I take you're referring to using mostly MIDI (because a lot of people create music with mostly audio and very little MIDI ). If you draw notes, step record, want an arranger track, and need the most MIDI options, then you might want to first look at something like Cubase or Logic. If you are like me and only need a record button, quantize, and minimal MIDI features, then PT is fine.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:16 AM

Thanks for the help,

In my studio nearly everything is digital now. The only REAL LIVE instruments we use is the guitars (mostly for base) and the mic, everything else is MIDI/keyboard.

To make things a little easier, we mostly produce and work with artist in pop/hiphop/and some alt rock. A lot of our music is produced and generated with Keyboards and MPCs.