Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2012, 09:26 AM

Default Help! To Reinstall or Not???

Hi Folks,
I'm wondering if anyone can help me. I am thinking about reinstalling my PT LE software, and I'm wondering if there are are horrible surprises that could occur.

The reason I'm considering this, after using the system for about eight years without problems, is that I can't figure out why I'm getting distortion on a particular vocalist on a particular song I'm recording. I've done my best to troubleshoot all of the usual stuff, but nothing shows up. I have also recorded her using the same mic but in a new session, and there was no distortion. It is not the mic. I have checked that.

The song is otherwise done, so I can't start over again; the EP must be released soon. There are no other problems on other tracks.

So, the only thing I can think of is that there is some sort of glitch in the system itself. Though this also seems like a long-shot.

Any advice? If I reinstall after all these years, will the world come to an end, making it impossible for me to finish the other projects I'm working on?

I'll appreciate any help with this from experienced users. Many thanks!!!
Old 01-06-2012, 10:02 AM

Default Re: Help! To Reinstall or Not???

Any chance of opening the session on another computer? This would help you decide whether it's your computer system or the actual session itself that is not happy...

If you can't open the session on another computer - maybe try exporting the track and opening it in a new session... again, this would let you know if the session you are working on is corrupted...

Good luck

Sparky
Old 01-06-2012, 02:00 PM

Thanks Sparky, I appreciate your help. But I have a question: if I open it in another session or on another computer, that still won't tell me if I can record on the existing session without distortion. Right?
Old 01-06-2012, 03:38 PM

is it an extremely large session? you can try exporting the tracks and then importing them into a new session. maybe its just that session that got something corrupted.

Or bounce a mix down, and import that into a new session. have the vocals recorded and then export the vocal track into your old session. That will get you the vocal track into the existing session possibly without the distortion and let you finish the project. then work out what is up. Im sure you have already thought of these suggestions, but its what i would do.

personally i wouldnt reinstall in the middle of a project. i would work around the problem and then rebuild everything when i had nothing on the burners. sometimes it takes me awhile to find all the serials for plug ins i have had for years that arent ilok. and figuring out all the updating of them.

Chris

http://soundcloud.com/regenerationmix

http://twitter.com/regenerationmix

MacBook Pro, 2.4GHZ, 16GB, Intel Core i7, Mac OS 10.9.1 128 SSD internal HD, 750 GB Internal HD, Pro Tools 10.3.8, Digidesign 003r, Waves 8.0, Final Cut Pro 7
Old 01-06-2012, 04:39 PM

Thanks Chris!!! I will consider these fixes. I really appreciate the suggestions. But it may not be a problem exclusive to just that one session, I've just realized. It may be two or three. So, I'm still confused.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:21 PM

I agree... I wouldn't reinstall during a session. Also, it seems like an extremely isolated issue.
Distortion on one (or maybe two) vocal tracks with one particular vocalist?
Otherwise working as usual?
Odds are good that it's not a system problem.

Unfortunately, I don't have any suggestion as to what it could be! There are so many variables.
I hope you figure it out! Good luck
Old 01-06-2012, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdade View Post
Thanks Sparky, I appreciate your help. But I have a question: if I open it in another session or on another computer, that still won't tell me if I can record on the existing session without distortion. Right?
I think if you open the session on another computer and the vocal that sounds distorted - is still distorted - you can kinda start to think that there's either a glitch in:
1. Your recording chain
2. Your session
3. Possibly your computer

If the session plays fine on another system - you can start to look at possibly your software... because the other system seems to play the session cleanly...

There are so many variables (as mentioned by GregV) - but at least this is a place to start...

Good luck,

Sparky