Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2009, 10:49 AM

Default Decent Condenser Mic

Hi, I am recording a new solo project using an Mbox 2 Pro, Mac Mini, OWC 500G External Drive, Presonus Eureka, and a ART Tube MP.

I have a sure 57, and 58 and was thinking of getting a http://www.guitarcenter.com/Shure-KS...15-i1126544.gc for Vocals.

Does anyone have any ideas or experience with Condenser Microphones and might know which one around this price range would work best for low noise, good transparency, and price =).

I do mostly experimental music and vocally like a smooth clear sounding mic. Most all of the instruments other then the ones I play Guitar, Bass, some Drums and Keyboards will be done using VI's...so I really just need a good Vocal mic.

Thanks in Advanced for any Help! Maybe you can direct me to website that sells mic's for a good price as well.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:28 PM

Default Re: Decent Condenser Mic

It's difficult to recommend any mic because what works well for one person might not for another. If at all possible see if you can try a range of different mics out - some stores offer this facility or if you can borrow mics just to see what they sound like on your vocal.
I use low cost mics. The SE Electronics 2200a is perfect for my voice and is pretty useable on acoustic guitar also. My other budget mic is an Oktava MK219 (cost me about £60) and it's fantastic IMO. Here's an old review of the KSM27 anyway.
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Jul0...shureksm27.asp
Of course, mic preamps can play a big part in getting the most out of a mic but that's a different story.
A good site in Europe is http://www.thomann.de/gb/index.html
but I see your from the states so you've got a lot of choice already.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numi View Post
Hi, I am recording a new solo project using an Mbox 2 Pro, Mac Mini, OWC 500G External Drive, Presonus Eureka, and a ART Tube MP.

I have a sure 57, and 58 and was thinking of getting a http://www.guitarcenter.com/Shure-KS...15-i1126544.gc for Vocals.

Does anyone have any ideas or experience with Condenser Microphones and might know which one around this price range would work best for low noise, good transparency, and price =).

I do mostly experimental music and vocally like a smooth clear sounding mic. Most all of the instruments other then the ones I play Guitar, Bass, some Drums and Keyboards will be done using VI's...so I really just need a good Vocal mic.

Thanks in Advanced for any Help! Maybe you can direct me to website that sells mic's for a good price as well.
I have the KSM 27 in my set up and so far its been awesome. For the price range, its solid and delivers a good sound. I've not noticed any noise problem. But Murt is right...there a certain amount of subjectivity involved in selecting your mic. Having said that, I think you'd find it met it met your expectations.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:34 AM

For what its worth, a mic is only as good as the voice going into it.

I understand that John Lennon used an SM57 to cut a lot of his vocal tracks.

You would be wise to do a mic shootout.
See which sounds best to you in the environment that you'll record in.

Personally, I love the warmth of my KSM27 on my more mellow songs but the SM57 or 58 handle my screamer sessions perfectly.
PreSonus DigiMAX FS
Old 07-06-2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docscholl View Post

Personally, I love the warmth of my KSM27 on my more mellow songs but the SM57 or 58 handle my screamer sessions perfectly.
I thought I heard something in the night...
Old 07-06-2009, 09:04 AM

I got a SE Electronics 2000 for a project a couple of years ago recording at home, (I've used Neaumans, rhode NT2s etc) was very suprised for the price it's really OK.

Also have dynamic mics, sure sm 57, 58s and the beta ones are OK to.

Which ever mic you get, concentrate on placement and getting unwanted noise out of the equation will be nesseseary. even down to exessive headphone bleed as condenser mics are very sensitive.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
For what its worth, a mic is only as good as the voice going into it.
Very True. Crap in, Crap out. Hopefully you didn't follow the link to my music and that quote came to mind heh heh. I am not ignorant to the point to where I think a 5,000 dollar mic is going to make everything that comes out of my mouth sound good. Either way, I guess it's a matter of opinion, because I've heard many badly mixed albums and off key singers and such..have a pretty nice following(usually depends on style though).

Thanks for all your input, I think I will go ahead and add the Shure KSM27 Condenser Mic to my line. Everything you all have said based on those that have used it, have been exactly what I need.

I also read from the Sure product page, that this mic is good for mic'ing loud amps and can be used for my lightly played acoustic instruments also.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:44 PM

You might want to look at Kel Audio's HM-2D mic; people always seem to compare it to a Shure SM-7D.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
I understand that John Lennon used an SM57 to cut a lot of his vocal tracks.
?? In the Beatles years, it was almost always a Neumann U47, and the Spector stuff was a U87. I've never seen a single picture of Lennon in the studio singing into an SM57. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying I've never seen proof of this.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eless View Post
?? In the Beatles years, it was almost always a Neumann U47, and the Spector stuff was a U87. I've never seen a single picture of Lennon in the studio singing into an SM57. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying I've never seen proof of this.
Roy Cicala worked on all Lennons albums from Imagine onwards and I quote "For John’s lead vocals we used a tube U47 and an SM57,I would treat the 57 and do whatever I had to do to make him present, whereas the 47 was for quality." Source: SoundonSound magazine June 2009.