Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 01-24-2021, 06:39 PM

Default Offline Bounce issues with HDX

Does anyone have problems (freezes, hangs, glitches) when using Offline Bounce with their HDX system?

I have a new 2019 Mac Pro HDX2 system (details in sig below). Pretty sure these issues were happening with my old 2010 Mac Pro too, but I never investigated. This has been going on for some time but I've recently mixed an album on my laptop and transferred to HDX system, which has highlighted these glaring issues.

I find I can offline bounce occasionally without issues but often find that it will freeze on the 0:00 mark of the bounce, or hang after its completed and (when selected) not import the finished bounce. I can usually find the completed bounce in the Bounced Files folder and import (after a Force Quit and restart). Lastly, sometimes the correctly completed bounces have glitching all the way through the file, like a layer of distortion.

All plugins are Native in these sessions, to avoid any DSP>Native conversion, even though that shouldn't be an issue!

The same sessions that have these issue under HDX work absolutely fine on my Macbook Pro (2020.12/OSX10.14.6) running in Native. No Offline Bounce issues whatsoever.

I realize Offline Bounce is probably not used often by HDX users because of hardware use & the need for real-time bouncing, but if you have any experiences with it, please chime in.

Forrester

Last edited by fsavell; 01-24-2021 at 06:56 PM.
Old 01-24-2021, 08:01 PM

Default Re: Offline Bounce issues with HDX

So if you open these sessions with Built In Output (or similar) as the playback engine. Do they bounce OK then on the same Mac system?

What other troubleshooting have you done? Trash prefs? Check all plugins are up to date? remove all .aaxplugin files and see if it will bounce with just the default plugins?
Old 01-24-2021, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
So if you open these sessions with Built In Output (or similar) as the playback engine. Do they bounce OK then on the same Mac system?

What other troubleshooting have you done? Trash prefs? Check all plugins are up to date? remove all .aaxplugin files and see if it will bounce with just the default plugins?
In the middle of mixing albums and haven't had a chance to deconstruct the system to problem solve. It's not a show-stopper so I'm working around it. Just trying to gauge community experience, not trying to solve this one here. Preferences have been trashed.
Old 01-25-2021, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsavell View Post
In the middle of mixing albums and haven't had a chance to deconstruct the system to problem solve. It's not a show-stopper so I'm working around it. Just trying to gauge community experience, not trying to solve this one here. Preferences have been trashed.
It's been pretty reliable for me, also on a 2019 Mac Pro with HDX.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsavell View Post
Just trying to gauge community experience, not trying to solve this one here..
For whatever it's worth, totally solid here - no issues - daily use of BTD offline on large high sample rate sessions - actually, don't think I've *ever* had a hang on offline bounce on any of the rigs I work on.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 01-26-2021, 05:26 PM

Thanks for the feedback folks!

Forrester
Old 02-08-2021, 08:00 PM

PT (2020.9.1 HDX) usually freezes when I try to bounce offline.
Trashing preferences seems to cure it, for a while.