How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 10-31-2012, 02:47 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10 on Windows 8??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
Cool, cool, good to know Native is working. And yes, disable UAC, set up PT to run as admin.

Tell me, when you updated, did you do an in place upgrade (Keep Everything) or did you do Keep Nothing? Or did you install from a disc. I installed from within the Windows Upgrade Adviser because thats the only way the license number I had would activate (bought the 7 to 8 upgrade online) without going in to the reg later and changing a 1 to a 0. I also chose to 'keep everything' because I was dreading having to type in all those plugin license codes, usually I would do a clean install, but since 8 is pretty similar to 7 I thought I would give an in place upgrade a try this time, and so far its working pretty good. A few problems, but those should be fixed by updated drivers.
I installed from the disc on the desktop of Windows 7 Pro, but I kept nothing. I started with a clean install. I bought the upgrade online @ Microsoft, but I chose the option to burn a DVD and the key was displayed along with a copy sent to my e-mail.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:07 PM

My choices were personal files or nothing. I chose personal files
Old 11-01-2012, 06:40 AM

Hey people - this is my first post here. After trying multiple fixes for getting PT10 to run under W8 I found a fairly easy way of doing it.

Simply run the PT 10.3.2 update installer (setup.exe) in compatibility mode for Windows 7 as an administrator (not the setup.exe in the "Pro Tools" folder, but the setup.exe in the "Pro Tools Installer" folder).

Hope this helps.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:29 PM

Thank you! That worked.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc5353 View Post
Hey people - this is my first post here. After trying multiple fixes for getting PT10 to run under W8 I found a fairly easy way of doing it.

Simply run the PT 10.3.2 update installer (setup.exe) in compatibility mode for Windows 7 as an administrator (not the setup.exe in the "Pro Tools" folder, but the setup.exe in the "Pro Tools Installer" folder).

Hope this helps.

That most certainly does help!

Thank you!

Asus P6X58D-E, Intel i7 930, 12 Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3
2 WD Black Cavier 640 Gb SATA 3Gb/s 32MB Cache
Windows 10 Pro
Old 11-02-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc5353 View Post

Hope this helps.
Thats a good tip, you can also setup Pro Tools to run in Windows 7 compatibility mode after you get it installed. PT9 was taking about twice as long to load as it did on W7, I switched to the W7 compatibility mode and it loaded up at the same speed it did when on W7.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 11-02-2012, 07:04 PM

Just wanted to let you all know that I am now running PT 10.3 on Windows 8 Pro

I did what was suggested - installed PT 9 first, uninstalled (just the Pro Tools software, not the Digidesign Databases etc) and then installed PT10

Running fine.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:00 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10 on Windows 8 - Easy...

Hi Guys,

ProTools 10.3.2 appears to work flawlessly on Windows 8 (RTM / Retail). Not sure why the fuss.. The trick is just permissions and compatibility mode for installing DLLs.

To install, follow the steps below from a CLEAN system... Don't upgrade from 8 or 9!! And with Windows 8, you're strongly advised to start from clean - Not a Windows 7 upgrade!! Permissions problems will plague you!

1. Simply open the "Pro Tools Installer" install folder (NOT the menu executable).
2. Change the SETUP.exe file's Compatibility to "compatibility mode for Windows 7"
3. Change the Run mode to - Run as "Administrator"
4. Run the installer!
5. Once the installer has finished, install your drivers (in my case Factory 003) in the same way BEFORE you try and run ProTools. ie. Change the compatibility to Windows 7 and Run as Administrator before running any of the driver installers!
6. Download and do the same thing for the latest iLok drivers and client software (change compatibility AND run as administrator).
7. Go to the ProTools Application icon that's now installed - and repeat the same process. Change compatibility and Run as Administrator BEFORE you try running it...
8. NOW you should be able to run ProTools 10 happily on Windows 8.
9. Assuming this all works, repeat the above process with your plugins.. I have tested the latest versions from iZotope and Waves - and they seem fine! Do the usual Windows optimisations.. Turn off screensaver.. Check DEP is still on etc.
10. Enjoy ProTools on Windows 8..

Cheers
Andy C
Old 11-02-2012, 11:23 PM

hey guys
I really thought the idea on installing pt9 over pt10 was the craziest idea to make it work on win8 with the DAE error..

but...I can confirm that it WORKS!!

stable, reliable, awesome. fast.

weird. yes. pt9 replaces files like dae.dll and installs what looks like maps for older hardware etc. etc.

so that's why it works...it basically fixes up the problems with pt10 as a download/update from avid.

so there you go. sheesh!!

cheers
ant
video dj 2greendollars - Guinness world record winning video-dj
www.2greendollars.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3470283/
Old 11-03-2012, 08:44 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10 on Windows 8 - Easy...

Does it not work if you install the drivers first like you are supposed to?