Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2019, 01:16 AM

Default Does anyone else have issues with codemeter on OS X?

Hi, i recently bought a plugin that had zero info or disclosure that it uses codemeter, and after paying I received an email that I would have to install the full codemeter run time.

The last time I did that was about 2 years ago on sierra and my macbook pro, and it significantly slowed the start of my computer..

Also.. codemeter is a resident process that never shuts off.. and i noticed that my idle temps doing nothing were no longer 38 to 40 degrees, but never went below 45 anymore. Ever.. Just watching netflix would take them into high 50's..

So I uninstalled it and ditched the maat audio meter plugin and said I'd never use that again.
I just don't have those issues with iLOK and elicenser..
Elicencer ONLY launches in the background when you insert a plugin that uses it.. otherwise it's a non resident process.

Ilok IS a resident process but uses 0.0% cpu.. I never ever see it in my top 10 list of processes in istat cpu usage info.. where as codemeter is always in the top 5! About 10 years ago when I used windows, ilok caused me all sorts of blue screens, a well known issue at the time, but I have never had an issue or kernel panic on mac...

Anyway I have wanted this plugin I just bought for ages, and it went on a 50% sale for the first time ever.. with my new macbook 16, I don't know whether to take the chance of installing it, or on my imac Pro either, which is the machine I have my main 2 DAWs on (PT and Logic).
But I don't know if even Avenger is worth installing the full codemeter runtime.

Can anyone who has it installed on their mac, preferably on high sierra or higher, please let me know if it causes any issues at all for them? I hear it's ok on windows but it's OS X I am concerned about.

This is the link to the plugin page.. as you can see there is zero disclosure of the plugin using Codemeter..
ALL his other plugins disclose in system requirements that they use elicenser, so I just fairly presumed this would too.. What an idiot I felt like trying to use the serial in my elicenser registration LOL!

https://www.vengeance-sound.com/plug...uite%20Avenger
Old 12-08-2019, 04:17 AM

Default Re: Does anyone else have issues with codemeter on OS X?

Avenger just went to codemeter copy protection with the 1.5 update. Previously it was a keyfile type of thing. The reason they went with codemeter was that the previous version of Avenger got hacked and put online and supposedly they lost a ton of money. There's a thread over on KVR that's like 700+ pages long https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewt...27&start=10515 and in there there's a discussion about this deal. Several posters have had issues with codemeter with other plugins and have mentioned it. Rene and Manuel had several choices they could have gone with in copy protection but they went this way so they didn't have to pay any fees to iLok (their words not mine).

I've had issues with codemeter when trying to get it running with Reason 8 on my Mac systems so you're not alone. And that's why I stayed with the previous version of Avenger.

Another problem a number of people are having with Avenger (and not just in 1.5) is the gui and how some things aren't as crisp as they should be. Manuel pretty much refuses to discuss it in the thread other than to say to run a large high resolution monitor.

QAPLA!
Old 12-08-2019, 05:30 AM

Thanks.. Hmm doesn't sound too positive...

I have read some of the topic and it seems he chose codemeter over elicenser cause people complained about the dongle...

But I can't even use avenger 1.5 on both my macs cause they have os x and bootcamp, and you get 3 licenses.. with a dongle i can just move it and when it's plugged in, a re boot to bootcamp doesn't mean a thing, it just works...

I really think he should have given customers the option like xils lab does, for those of us who LOVE the synchrosoft dongle.. or at least disclose it..

This is the first plugin I have ever bought where it was not disclosed that it needed additional copy protection software to run prior to purchase.. they ALL say ilok, elicenser, codemeter (eg maat digital), whatever.. I definitely think I am within my rights to ask for a refund since I haven't unlocked it on any computers yet.

The thing I am most worried about of course are kernel panics and/or using too much background cpu....

BTW Manuel had a celebration on facebook many years ago for nexus selling 20,000 copies, which not including any expansions and using the once yearly Xmas sales price of 199, is 4 million dollars in sales for one plugin.. Elicense dongle certainly did not get in the way there.. so I am not sure why they didn't go with it again yet use it on all their other plugins.

I've given that guy a lot of money over the last 15 years.. bought tons of his synth presets, his sample packs, nexus complete twice, all his other plugins.. I guess I hope he'd see me as a valued customer and just refund it and forget about it.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:23 AM

I have a Codemeter dongle for Reason and have never had any issues with it.

Mountain Lion to High Sierra - never a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
I have a Codemeter dongle for Reason and have never had any issues with it.

Mountain Lion to High Sierra - never a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi, I used to use Reason up to V9 and had the ignition key...

My mistake, I should have talked about that in the OP.

Reason uses a "lite" version of CM, self contained in the app, that does NOT install a permanent resident process and likewise does not install the full CM runtime. If Avenger was like this I'd be ok with it.. only invoking CM when inserted into a DAW.. but it needs the full bloatware runtime.