Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)

Old 01-13-2015, 03:35 PM

Default Audio Interface for Control|24

What are my greatest options on audio interfaces that (rackmount) for a control 24? I currently have a mbox 2 along with pro tools le and want to upgrade my interface and get the full usage out of my control 24 using le.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:33 PM

Default Re: Audio Interface for Control|24

Pro Tools HD would be your best option, but also the most expensive (around $10,000 for an HDX). But since your coming from an MBox 2, i'm assuming you're looking for something more affordable. Avid/Digi rack-mount units that are still viable options are the 003r and 002r. I ran a very nice studio setup off of an ancient 002r, a custom built PC, and a Digi Control 24.

Whatever you get, it's going to need at least 16 in's to support the Control 24. But depending on which version of Pro Tools you're running (newer than 9.0), there are also a bunch of 3rd party options available like the Focusrite Saffire 56, the Presonus FireStudio, and the list goes on and on. It really depends on your budget.

But the absolute cheapest way to run Pro Tools LE with a Control 24 and use all of its features is to buy an old Digi 002r (They're only $200 on ebay) and some type of 8 channel mic-preamp that has an ADAT/Optical out (Behringer ADA8000 - $180 new).

Run the two mic-pre output D-Sub cables from the Control 24 to the XLR/TRS inputs of the 002r (1-8) and 8 channel mic pre (9-16), run the ADAT out from the mic-pre to the ADAT in of the 002r, plug the 002r's firewire cable in, plug the Control 24's ethernet cable in, and you're in business!

16 tracks recording simultaneously for under $400. You'll need a beast of a computer though lol.. And sure, there are definitely better options, this is just the cheapest.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:16 AM

Dan laid it out pretty well, but I will expound a bit, in case you are new to this stuff. First off, you understand that you are NOT going to run Pro Tools 11 with this stuff, correct? Assuming LE8, or PT9/10, the 002r is an okay budget choice, but be warned. Almost ALL 002 units have or will have the dreaded "power harness" issue. Its not the end of the world, but you need to be aware of it. The 003r is a better option for a couple of reasons(and its not much more money). #1-no power harness problems, and #2, it has wordclock IO which gives you more versatility in clocking(and this matters).

With either 002 or 003, adding 8 more inputs via lightpipe is simple enough(and the Behringer ADA8000 is the cheapest solution). There are some better options if funds permit. The Behringer ADA8200 is the next option(same as the 8000, but better preamps and converters). My next choice would be the Focusrite OctoPre Mk II Dynamic. There are some "in between" options, but the 3 mentioned also include 8 channels of D>A, which will come in very handy for headphone mixes(assuming you wish to record bands).

Keep something else in mind here. With the Control 24, the preamps onboard are not considered to be all that good(but you are NOT forced to use them if you have other preamps in your setup. If you DO wish to use them, you will need DB25-TRS breakout cables. With 002/003, you also will be able to add a final pair(17&18) via the SPDIF input, and some options for that include the ART Digital MPA and DBX-386 at the low end(but good performers) or the API A2D at the high end.

All this being said, if you upgrade to 9 or 10, you are opened up to many other options from Focusrite, MOTU, RME, etc

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-24-2015, 05:52 PM

Thanks for your input guys, as I am new to this community I didn't realize you guys replied. Since this post, I've upgraded to pro tools 9 cross grade along with the 003 rack mount+ considering it has more options then the 002. Yes I do realize that this equipment I'm running will not work with PT11,I don't plan on upgrading my controller anytime soon but I will at least upgrade to PT10 in the near future.

Thanks again!!!!