Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2009, 09:38 AM

Default random midi note issue

Hi, can anyone offer a suggestion to solving this problem...I have a Yamaha Motif ES8 hooked up to my Digi 003 (midi out to midi in on the 003/midi out to midi in from 003 to motif). Yamaha is sending and receiving midi data on channel 1. When recording midi data into protools, I randomly hear a note being triggered that I do not play, seems like the same note every time, but happens randomly. It does not record this data during tracking, but will trigger it during playback as well, in a different location every time. Again, it seems random and am not sure how to solve this issue. Anyone have any ideas? thanks...
Old 10-21-2009, 06:31 PM

Default Re: random midi note issue

Is 'Local' turned off?

filosofem
Old 10-22-2009, 10:07 AM

Yes, local is turned off...first thing I checked. This is driving me insane. Spent about 3 hours trying to eliminate this from happening to no avail...I tried everything from changing midi cables to using midi input filter to filter out all data except note data etc....this data does not get recorded, but is heard when playing the Motif, as well as playing back the midi data through protools. I guess the next step is to figure out if it is the keyboard itself by trying a different sound module.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:27 PM

Let us know how you get on.

filosofem
Old 10-24-2009, 07:34 AM

Here is the latest. I can not solve this issue but am starting to think it has something to do with my installation of Eleven Rack software. Here is my setup:

I am using an 003 on Mac OSX 10.5.8, running PT 8.0.1. I have several USB midi devices on the system; an alesis trigger finger and the eleven rack. I have a motif es8 hooked up to the 003 via midi in/out. I have Vintech 473 and Avalon 737 Pres fed by the motif, going into an Apogee Rosetta 800, then out optical to the 003 and back optically to the rosetta which feeds my presonus central station (analog) for monitoring.

Ok, so, I am getting random midi notes on occasion and can't figure this out. The Motif has local control off, is sending and receiving midi data on channel 1. Protools has a midi track setup with the input set to the motif channel 1 and the output set to channel 1 (or 2 or 3, doesn't matter). I have midi thru turned on in PT. I am monitoring the midi channel with an aux with the input set to adat 3-4 which is channels 3-4 on the Vintech pre amp.

I can not fix this problem, I have tried all I can think of from changing midi cables, to unconnecting all usb midi devices, to input filtering etc. and the problem persists. It seems to have coincided with my install of the eleven rack software update, but not positive.

Digi, please help, I do not know what else to try....could this be a software bug or an 003 midi hardware problem??? Thanks for anyones advice.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:17 AM

Also getting occasional midi data error messages on my Motif keyboard if this helps...
Old 10-24-2009, 11:43 AM

When you take the Eleven Rack out of the equation what is the result?

filosofem
Old 10-24-2009, 02:04 PM

If I just disconnect the eleven rack and the other usb items, I still have the same problem, just didnt know if the software update that I had to install with Eleven rack maybe had a bug....
Old 10-26-2009, 12:29 PM
Avid

Try this:

Go to MacHD>Users>your account>Library>Preferences>By Host and trash 'com.apple.midi.a bunch of numbers and letters.plist'.

Go to MacHD>Users>your account>Library>Preferences and trash 'com.apple.audio.audiomidisetup.plist'.

Empty the trash and restart, then see if everything is working.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:39 PM

Digi, thanks for the reply. I trashed both of these files, restarted the computer and I have the same problem. Can you please advise as to my next step to try and fix this...My eleven rack is less than a month old and I have had the 003 for less than 3 months...thanks...