Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 07-08-2015, 08:33 PM

Default Re: The dark side of WRITE TO SELECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
That's always one of the paradoxes when developing user interfaces...do we give the total ditzes enough warnings so they aren't constantly screwing up, or do we give the pros enough flexibility so they can work efficiently?

Which means we're always up against wonderful metric of: What is the minimum IQ required just to sustain life? Somehow, it seems like that number gets lower every year, which means we now have to goofproof our software for people with IQs of 10 or below...roughly the IQ of a brick.

For the pros, we try to design in ways to turn off "stupid" mode so they can get their work done on time...sometimes we can readily do that, but sometimes it's just not feasible to do so.

And in that vein, I'll leave you with my favorite "tech support" story so you can see some of the things we have to deal with...

This was back in the early days of personal computers...One woman had complained several times about her computer suddenly "typing" a whole bunch of characters when her hands weren't even on the keyboard. I "caught the call", and I arrived at her desk just in time to discover that in addition to having very large breasts, which all of us on the tech staff knew about, she was also a bit myopic, which none of us on the tech staff knew, and that every time she leaned forward to try to read something on the monitor, her "ampleness" landed right on the keyboard, pressing a lot of the keys and causing the "automatic typing"!

Needless to say, I had a lot of fun writing up THAT "incident report"...
Your post assumes that the programmers are all-wise and infinitely logical. Sadly, many years of working with numerous UI's for many different audio, video and graphics apps has convinced me that the designers and programmers are just as likely to come up with illogical and inconsistent schemes as the rest of mankind, and let's not even bring up bug infestations. The problem with too many of them is that they are so convinced of their own superiority and infallibility that they fail to consider that they might benefit from trying to understand the actual needs of those who have to use the apps. While there are some brilliant tools available, the burial mound of ill-conceived and user unfriendly apps is massive and grows ever larger day by day. Never forget that the tech staff serves the user. We buy and use the tools, we pay their salaries.

Last edited by ggegan; 07-08-2015 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:18 AM

The Guardian Angel is integrated into PT 12.2.1:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/r...-Release-Notes

Quote:
When users start playback without a timeline selection, make an edit selection during playback in hopes of writing automation to the new selection, then use Write to Start, Write to Selected, or Write to End, we will always end the pass with the respective automation warnings even if the preference to suppress warnings is enabled.
PT now opens a warning dialog, why does it not simply "write to selection" instead ???
Old 10-09-2015, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernhard View Post
The Guardian Angel is integrated into PT 12.2.1:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/r...-Release-Notes

PT now opens a warning dialog, why does it not simply "write to selection" instead ???
Here's why -
Under the hood, automation is Timeline based, not Edit Selection based. Despite the fact that the "Link Timeline and Edit Selection" button is on, an Edit Selection while Pro Tools is running will NOT make a Timeline Selection. Therefore, the most sensible thing to do is to always have a warning pop up if you try to write automation when there is no Timeline Selection AND you have made an Edit Selection.

This also now covers cases where you have "Link Timeline and Edit Selection" DE-selected.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:11 AM

I use a lot, while in preview mode, a button that has not been able to access it from my d command buttons but works great for writing automation to only parameters that changed in preview and to be able to not overwrite any other lanes that had already been automated: that shortcut is called "write to all enabled" and "write to current".
The first one is only available in the automation window just in the center button with arrows on the sides. If you are in preview mode playing and not selecting anything you can only select what you want to write while playing and hit write to all enabled and magically it only writes auto that has stored in the preview buffer.
I you like to be more safe while you automate in preview mode and don't want to screw your timeline work, the write to current command is your friend. First, while in preview mode and playing without selecting anything, put your tracks only with the lane of automation you want to change, (this one I use it for backgrounds levels and balance in films). For example, only the volume automation lane. Then make your moves and fader changes and then only hit while playing and selecting that tracks, "write to current" and only the volume changes will be written and no other mistakenly parameter will be be written.
I hope my explanation is clear.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watagushu2013 View Post
I use a lot, while in preview mode, a button that has not been able to access it from my d command buttons but works great for writing automation to only parameters that changed in preview and to be able to not overwrite any other lanes that had already been automated: that shortcut is called "write to all enabled" ...
I strongly believe, that is not true, at least not true, if not using a controller.
With Preview and Write-to-all-enabled and a selection made : every parameters value, not just the touched/isolated parameter, at the time of actually hitting Write-to-all-enabled will be written statically to the whole selection. Every parameter, that is not disabled in the top part of the automation window.
Example : a selection, where a pan is automated to go from left to right. Now playback, only touch the volume, write-to-all-enabled -> pan automation is static now, with the value that was present at the time of hitting write-to-all-enabled, to the whole selection.
That's why is called "to-all-enabled", not "to-just-the touched-ones".
Two ways to only write the touched parameters to the selection is to use "Write-to-all" (in the right-click menu of the buttons for Return-to-Zero or Go-to-End) or "Write-to-selection" (Automation Window, Manual Write).
"Write-to-all" is not the same as "Write-to-all-enabled" (Ctrl Alt /).
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 10-09-2015, 10:09 AM

Default The dark side of WRITE TO SELECTION

Yes you are right. If you are using touch in faders and controls you can expect that the changes will be only what you touch and has to be written while you playback or has to be written in the modes that you describe.