Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-29-2011, 06:06 AM

Default trim automation newbie

Hi there

I'm not sure if I fully understood the function of trim automation, I can use some help with it

I finally made the switch from LE to HD and I'm just now getting into all the new features (VCA, multitrack beat detective, ect...). but i have a question about trim automation. In the LE world, if I wanted to turn down the snare track of a drum group. I would uncheck the drum group, go to the edit window, in volume mode, grab the volume line of the snare track with the trimmer tool and pull it down . now, from what I gathered in the reference guide, trim automation is a shortcut to this procedure.

can somebody please give me a step-by-step procedure on how to correctly use trim automation to turn down the snare track?... should it be during play back?

thanx in advance
Mark
Old 01-29-2011, 06:14 AM

Default Re: trim automation newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by grendizer View Post
Hi there

I'm not sure if I fully miss understood the function of trim automation, I can use some help with it

I finally made the switch from LE to HD and I'm just now getting into all the new features (VCA, multitrack beat detective, ect...). but i have a question about trim automation. In the LE world, if I wanted to turn down the whole snare track of a drum group. I would uncheck the drum group, go to the edit window, in volume mode, grab the volume line of the snare track with the trimmer tool and pull it down . now, from what I gathered in the reference guide, trim automation is a shortcut to this procedure.

can somebody please give me a step-by-step procedure on how to correctly use trim automation to turn down the snare track?... should it be during play back?

thanx in advance
Mark
The trim volume automation playlist works relative to the volume playlist, so with the volume fader at -5 db and the trim fader also at -5 db, the composite volume would be -10 db.

For your example you can use Read/Trim mode, pull down the fader to your liking, and then coalesce the trim automation onto the volume playlist. Just right-click the track name to coalesce. This is one way...
Old 01-29-2011, 06:24 AM

got it! I failed to notice trim volume was now, a new addition to the playlist selection.

thanx
Old 01-29-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grendizer View Post
got it! I failed to notice trim volume was now, a new addition to the playlist selection.

thanx
Yes, especially if you have a lot of automation written for a vocal, and you want to bring the whole track (or just the bridge) down .5db.. TRIM saves a lot of headaches. Then when you coalesce it s written to your volume automation.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:40 AM

it's very nice indeed. it's awesome how I can do this straight from the mix window, i don't have to toggle. thanx again

soo uhh, VCA, whats that now :)