Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 01-03-2013, 06:02 AM

Default Recording vocals through eleven rack

This is probably off-topic, sorry...

I´m recording guitars through my eleven rack and pro tools and I wish to record vocals as well. I have e decent microphone. Unfortunate, I only know how to record it through the amplifiers in the eleven rack, which makes the sound either too low or too distorted. My question is:

Is there a way to record through the microphone withour using the in-built amplifiers?

Do I have to buy another device?

Is there anyone here who has experience with recording vocals through the eleven rack? If so, how?

Any help is extremely appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-03-2013, 06:54 AM

The microphone input is available directly in Pro Tools (as are guitar, line in L/R and digital in L/R) regardless of wether it is assigned to the rig input or not, just create a new audio track, select the microphone using the track's input path selector button, record arm the track etc.. If you do not understand what I have said you need to look up input path selector in the Pro Tools documentation.

If the input path selector does not show a microphone option you may need to go to the Setup>IO dialog and hit the default button on the input page.

Darryl
Old 01-03-2013, 07:05 AM

Default Re: Recording vocals through eleven rack

Thank you very much. I will try that.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:24 AM

I tried changing it to the mic in, and now I can record vocals directly to pro tools.

But the thing is, I also want to record the microphone through the eleven rack, because the cable does not fit into my computer at home. Is there any way that I can record microphone through the eleven rack without having to deal with guitar/bass amplifiers? I tried the one called vocal rig, but again the result was terrible low.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:58 AM

It sounds like you misunderstood what Darryl was saying.

In the Eleven Rack (either on the unit or in the GUI), select the "Guitar In" as the "Rig Input". That means that only that input will go through the amplifiers, etc.

That now frees up the "mic input" to be a straight mic input, without going through anything. You would create a mono track in Protools, and select "mic input" as the track input.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:48 AM

I´m sorry. My English is also pretty bad.

When I select "mic" as the track input the only sound pro tool gets is from the built-in mic on the computer. How do I get the input to be the mic through the eleven rack without amps?

Sorry again for my misunderstandings and thanks for your help and patience.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JensBC View Post
I´m sorry. My English is also pretty bad.

When I select "mic" as the track input the only sound pro tool gets is from the built-in mic on the computer. How do I get the input to be the mic through the eleven rack without amps?

Sorry again for my misunderstandings and thanks for your help and patience.
Select the Eleven Rack as the playback engine in the Setup>Playback Engine dialog panel. Make sure you are not trying to use an aggregate IO device if on a Mac.

Make sure a Mic is plugged into the Elreven Rack and phantom power is tuned on if it is a condenser or other mic that requires it.

Darryl
Old 01-07-2013, 03:13 AM

I did what you told me, and now I get sound from my microphone. Unfortunately, in the process, the output sound got lost. I get no sound from my headphones. I have no idea why.

I can listen to music online, so it´s not the computer. It must be somewhere in pro tools, and I have searched for it for some time now.

I have made sure that the sound in system preferences is set correct.

Do you have any suggestions to what the problem is?

I am very grate ful for your pateince and help so far. Thanks again!
Old 01-07-2013, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JensBC View Post
This is probably off-topic, sorry...

I´m recording guitars through my eleven rack and pro tools and I wish to record vocals as well. I have e decent microphone. Unfortunate, I only know how to record it through the amplifiers in the eleven rack, which makes the sound either too low or too distorted. My question is:

Is there a way to record through the microphone withour using the in-built amplifiers?

Do I have to buy another device?

Is there anyone here who has experience with recording vocals through the eleven rack? If so, how?

Any help is extremely appreciated. Thanks!
I run the microphone, Shure SM-58, directly into the Microphone Input on the 11R making sure that the 48V is selected.

I haven't noticed anything major w/ regards to problems I do of course use plugins with ProTools when it comes to recording vocals ie EQ, compression, and whatnot to get it sounding a bit nicer. But then again it would sound a bit sterile without that.

Schecter Hellraiser 7 Diamond - Ibanez RG7620
Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Old 01-07-2013, 06:59 AM

I have absolutely no idea why, but when I entered pro tools right now, the sound suddenly worked fine.

Thank you so much for helping, I really appreciate it.

-Jens