Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 10-13-2020, 01:09 PM

Default Re: WTF is this guy on about??? Soooo tired of this

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
And, given the taste of the music-buying public, zero knowledge can make a hit
This is THE point right here.

Never confuse knowledge with financial success or popularity in the music industry.

Is that good? Is that bad? Doesn't matter, it's reality.

It's actually an interesting subject when you delve into the knowledge vs. passion argument. Plenty of really good bands started with zero knowledge and 100% passion. Basically all of punk, and many metal bands.

This clip of Max from Soulfly embodies that perfectly.

But there is another factor emerging today, which is 'commercial viability' without the supporting knowledge OR passion.

Plus the industry is totally different today. This is a SINGLES world, not an album world.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 10-15-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Yes clickbait title but wtf is this now from the Best Salesman on the planet??

https://m.youtube.com/watch?_hsenc=p...&v=l89q-SCxT-4

If the ”Pro’s” he is talking about thinks these chinese made hardware phones are such a great thing along with this software then the mixer guys days will be totally over in 6 months!!!

Fact:

Bought 2 Raven MTi2’s new for 2488 USD conversion from Euro!
Sold for 700 USD for the pair 12 months later as they are Caca! Bad graphics, runs soo hot they smell, useless software implementation, weird user angle, Bad quality. They were Old tech the same day they arrived at the door

Fact:

Bought a Slate VMS bundle for 1655 USD - Sold for 450 USD 8 months later in MINT with extra mic packs. Useless sound quality, stupid Slate vs Sony C800G, 251’s, U47 etc etc etc We have all those original and Vms sound nothing like they do. Picked apart a broken VMS from a studio here and it contains parts valued at around 133 USD and this was ”disected” by a Great Tech who makes the swedish TK Audio stuff! He laughed to tears. Checked the Mic aswell and it was just cheap chinese crap parts slung together.

This has now gone too far and people HAVE to stop falling for these ”fad” products as he states Get the best mixes in the world with our ”Beryllium” headphones and software and get the same sound in your closet as a 10.000 person club in IBIZA for example!! Well many comments on the forums are like :

Yessss take my money I dont have to learn anything and can make my ”non great songs’ in my closet sound JUST like the highest paid engineers bla bla bla

This is like saying now everyone thinks they can make great music without knowing one iota of technical stuff or know how to play any instrument at all. Just buy a chord plugin and get to it!!!

This is why the songs on the billboard charts sound like FAKKK! Totally un-listenable (if thats a word) as they distort, sound plastic, Crappy mixes and all the songs have the same chord progression as every producer / DJ Wannabee use the same plugins.

I feel like giving this music business up for good! Made a super great living and dont need to work so thinking about starting a plugin company instead making the same crap as everyone else and just be 10-20% cheaper than all these clown salesmen making up words for 1’s and 0’s to sound like WOWOWOW! This MUST be the BEST plugins in the world and the hardware is like Super Great Beryllium driver and silicon elements with turbo brain shaking loose bass refection bla bla and it is only $199!! Must be the best deal ever right?

I’m done and sorry for the rant! Had to do it!

PS. Beryllium drivers have been a thing for a long time so dont fall for his cheap crappy made gear please! Just words and sales tacticts that sounds impressive but he buys those headphones for less than $50 or maybe $25 and talks like they are a pair of $2500 headphones just like our superior sounding non hyped sennheiser or AKG
he's using the same marketing that waves did when they released their headphone vertiluizer plugin. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7Ri...ture=emb_title

Wave-T.com
Old 10-15-2020, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
If I had had a 2-inch and SSL two decades ago, I probably would have never wanted a DAW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No trust me you still would have wanted a daw. I was trained on an ssl and 2 a800. You do not know the pain of having to calibrate each input for 8 or 10 different frequencies (been a while so I'm no longer sure if it's 8 or 10) and don't forget to turn off the smpte, or the bias.. cause then you have to start all over again.. And splicing tapes to do edits? even more so when you're using a dual 24 track... No you would still have wanted a daw LOL. Althouhg I would still want those two babies today, just to record on them, then bounce in Pro tools and back to them again.. or get some clasp system to do it in real time with pro tools.

Wave-T.com
Old 10-18-2020, 08:30 AM

I'm with you all the way on that one Manny. All the hours I spent lining up two Ampex MM1200 16 tracks, an MCI 8 track, and six MCI 2 tracks. With the MM1200 16 track alone that's 160 adjustments not including azimuth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MM1200 Alignment.jpg (95.4 KB, 0 views)
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - 3 screens - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 546.01 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 - 3 screens - Blackmagic Speed Editor - MK1 Presonus Faderport - Canon C100 mk2 - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n
Old 10-18-2020, 11:24 AM

I sold all of my Slate stuff and never looked back.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 10-18-2020, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
I sold all of my Slate stuff and never looked back.
Starting to understand why! We sold all our slate gear aswell as got back 1/4 of the cash invested less thsn 1 year later all with original boxes and MINT.

It is overhyped crap IMNSHO and the slate mic falls soo much short of any emulation it is just sad.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 10-19-2020, 01:25 AM

Here is one more who has stopped using anything Slate or Waves related stuff. PT works much faster without Steven Slate Soon and much much better without WavesHell
Old 10-19-2020, 08:14 AM

In addition dumping Slate, I also uninstalled all Waves. One side affect is far fewer AAE errors. With plug-ins... A few really great ones are far more productive than a slew of "less great."

The plug-in folder is becoming smaller now, and Pro Tools is running much better as a result.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 10-28-2020, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Allow me to disagree with the above. While musical knowledge would be great to have don't let it be the be all/end all. Take Lindsey Buckingham - self-taught on guitar and look what he's created. You don't have to take music theory classes to make good music.

You rail against chord packs; my thing is arpeggiators. I prefer to play them in on my own but every so often when I get a synth that uses one as a selling point I fire it up and find new/neat patterns I can use. So yeah - it helps me when I'm blocked and stuck in a rut. And I've been making music since 1960 with all the requisit knowledge.

Too much knowledge can be crippling.

Fair enough. I’ve nothing against trying bee stuff and learning. However, chord packs are akin to paint by numbers kiddy art sets. Sure, you can get a picture out of it but it’s never going to be hanging in a gallery and it’s never going to be any good. I’ll go back to my point about the claims that the people who make these products make. They claim that you need no talent or creativity to make music. Wrong. Just wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk