Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2000, 04:30 PM

Default One partion or two?

I'll have an 18GB SCSI hard drive (yipee). Should I keep one partition or split it up (e.g. 2GB for OS, programs, 16GB for audio)?

Also, how does Pro Tools store its projects? One big .ptl file for each song? .wav files everywhere? Just curious.

Thanks,
Ron Cook
Athens, GA
Old 10-13-2000, 03:06 AM

Default Re: One partion or two?

Hy rscook

The deal is to get an extra drive for audio only or for system but if you don't want to it's better to partition the way you said in your post 2 + 14. The practical thing in this is that if tou need to full reinstall you OS you can format C: and reinstall, leaving D: with all the "Sessions".

The way PTLE manages files is simple and beautifull.

Let´s say you create a new "session" (this is the name for PTLE files) in D:\PTLE
named "SONG".

PTLE creates a Folder D:\PTLE\SONG where he and places the Session file, one sub-folder named "Audio Files" were he places the sessions .wav and another "Plug Ins" with sub-folders for each plug-in used to store their parameters.

So: D:\PTLE\SONG - PTLE session file
D:\PTLE\SONG\AUDIO - Audio files
D:\PTLE\SONG\PLUG-INS
D:\PTLE\SONG\PLUG-INS\D-VERB

The audio files in the Session Audio folder are named after the track's name with very simple, practical and logical names.

A track named BASS will create .wav files like : bass 01-00.wav
bass 01-01.wav

Have fun ...

Old 10-13-2000, 06:49 AM

Thanks very much. Does the schema stay the same for when I upgrade to Pro Tools|24?

Also, by partitioning my hard drive, can't I completely wipe the smaller partion (the one with OS + program files) and reinstall without affecting Pro Tools files on the other partition?

THANKS,
Ron
Old 10-17-2000, 01:17 PM

Its better to leave it as one partition from what I have read on other posts. Two partitions on the same drive has been known to cause problems with ptle.
Mike