Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2002, 11:11 PM

Default Re: Oh Mr. Neumann?? Calling Mr. Neumann?

Hey man. The Rode NTK is a very sweet mic. I have done projects with "Noymens" AKG tube mics.... and I would say that RodeNTK mics fair very well.
Old 03-04-2002, 11:29 PM

and now for the R(Phase invert)de microphones...

How do you pronounce that?

Road
Rude
ruyde

as i think its a scandinavian name...

and....as a Dutchmen i would say Noy-mann is ok

Bastiaan
Old 03-05-2002, 12:25 AM

Rode is pronounced like Sade..... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Sorry, had to do it. Rode is like 'On the Road Again' to my knowledge.

~RH
Old 03-05-2002, 01:17 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Bastiaan:

as i think its a scandinavian name... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It sounds like a northern Europe name, but they are actually manufactured in Australia (maybe by some Swedish guy.. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ). Anyway, I'm about to spend some money for a set of mics for my acoustic recordings; I'm quite used to my Audix CX 111, but I'd like to widen my range: do this Rode sound so good? How do they rate, say NT2 or NTK vs a "Noymann" TLM 103? I could get the Rode at a fair price, so ...

Thanx

L.G. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-05-2002, 02:56 AM

Funny. I only knew it was "Noyman" after I heard a guy on Howard Stern say the name of the mic on the show a few weeks ago. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-05-2002, 03:16 AM

And if anyone with an AT 4050CM5 would like to chime in I'd be very interested in your review...
Old 03-05-2002, 04:23 AM

I've got a pretty extensive mic locker... about 40 mics of various types and vintages - including RCA, Shure and Beyer ribbons, TWO Telefunken ELA M 251 E's, a Stephen Paul modded AGK C-414 EB, Russian M3 LOMO, etc. etc. - and a Rode NTK. Even compared to some of my (very) expensive mics, the Rode is still a very very nice mic. I highly recommend it.

I'd personally take the Rode over a TLM103 for a lot of applications, but the '103 is no slouch either. But I'd take either of these over the Rode NT2, which is a bit too bright and edgy for my tastes.

The last name of the guy who owns Rode is Freeman - which doesn't sound Scandinavian to me - more likely English. And I've always heard it pronounced "Road", including the USA reps.

The correct German pronunciation of Neumann is "Noyman". This name gets butchered by people who either 1. don't know German or 2. are new to pro level studios. I always get a kick out of people who come in to view / tour the studio and ask me "do you have any NEWman mics?" And then there was this guy one time, who, while I was showing him our 251's, had the nerve to say "yeah, but they can't be any good because they're not NEWmans". [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

I guess it's kind of like Porsche. A lot of Americans pronounce it "Porsch" and leave the "ah" sound off the end of it.

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 03-05-2002, 04:45 AM

NTK - brilliant on acoustics, amazing on a Tabla.

that's all I've done with mine so far, it didn't suit my voice but that's just me. I'm very very happy with the sound. I AB'd the NTK against a TLM103 for the acoustic on a session last week and there's no doubt that although the TLM was more transparent in some way, it just didn't have that special magic.

At the price I'd buy a pair.

Simon
Old 03-05-2002, 06:05 AM

I truly hate to say this, but I bought a Studio Projects C1 that sounds pretty darn good. I can't believe I just said that. It definitely sounds better than my AT4033. So it's "porsha", not "porsh"? I feel really stupid now.
Old 03-05-2002, 06:19 AM

Hhhmm, yes it's probably true that the Rode NTK can now whip the TLM103. I think the TLM103 doesn't really do the "Noymon"s justice, it's really a bit of a budget mic for them. (Schoepps make some great capsules and the new AKG414BULS is outstanding, especially for the price!)

As an Aussie (pronounced "ozzie"!) I can tell you that the factory for Rode mics is in a suburb called Rhodes. In Australia we tend to have a bit of a laconic and ironic attitude to things, the destination of things such as our product name can be drawn from our suburb name!

(And in this case the suburb is named after the brilliant (family of) South African scholar(s) (Cecil Rhodes) after which "Rhodes Scholar" is named.)

Hope that helps. Oh, and by the way, it's pronounced "ro-o-eed" with a nasal inflection (if you want the true drawling Aussie pro-nown-see-asian)! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Cheers,

Haigbabe [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]