Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2011, 10:20 PM

Default Pro Tools + 61-note MIDI Keyboard = missing low notes!

Hi there,

I could really use some help with the following problem:

I have Pro Tools 8 LE, Steven Slate Drums plug-in, and a MIDI Casio keyboard with 61 keys.

Since the keyboard has 61 instead of 76 keys, it starts on note "C1".

Steven Slate Drums maps its drums to lower keys (ex. B0 is double kick). These assignments can NOT be remapped; I can't play the drums assigned below C1 since my keyboard starts at C1!

I don't have an octave changer on my keyboard; instead I have "Transpose", which lets me move the key up/down a few notes. I tried but it does nothing for the drums (i.e. C1 still plays what C1 was originally assigned).

Sooo....is there anyway (in Pro Tools?) to reassign my MIDI keys? It would be perfect if I could move my keyboard down an octave (C1 key --> C0)...heck, even down one note would work since I really need B0!

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-03-2011, 10:22 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools + 61-note MIDI Keyboard = missing low notes!

oh, just to add that I can play the low notes (like B0) in Pro Tool's MIDI Editor.

However, mouse clicking the virtual keyboard does not allow for Touch Response, so everything is the same loud volume.

I'd much rather play everything on my Casio keyboard!
Old 03-04-2011, 06:42 AM

If you're on a mac, this program will work:

http://notahat.com/midi_patchbay
Old 03-04-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0000 View Post
oh, just to add that I can play the low notes (like B0) in Pro Tool's MIDI Editor.

However, mouse clicking the virtual keyboard does not allow for Touch Response, so everything is the same loud volume.

I'd much rather play everything on my Casio keyboard!
Which Casio are you using? I know on some of them, you might be able to transpose the MIDI output, even though you might not have that on the audio output.

WHat you might try, though, is using the MIDI real time properties feature in Pro Tools. I assume you have SS drums instantiated on an instrument track. Record enable it. ON the MIDI menu, (right click somewhere in the instrument track) use the TRanspose feature on the MIDI real time properties screen, and transpose down 1 octave. That should have the effect of transposing your C1 to C0 on input.

Good luck.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Toolbox View Post
If you're on a mac, this program will work:

http://notahat.com/midi_patchbay
Darn, I'm on Windows! I'll still give it a look though, thanks for the response.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Darn, I'm on Windows! I'll still give it a look though, thanks for the response.
Did you not see my post about using the MIDI real time properties function? I think that'll do the trick for you.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Which Casio are you using? I know on some of them, you might be able to transpose the MIDI output, even though you might not have that on the audio output.

WHat you might try, though, is using the MIDI real time properties feature in Pro Tools. I assume you have SS drums instantiated on an instrument track. Record enable it. ON the MIDI menu, (right click somewhere in the instrument track) use the TRanspose feature on the MIDI real time properties screen, and transpose down 1 octave. That should have the effect of transposing your C1 to C0 on input.

Good luck.
Thanks for the response!

I have a Casio CTK-530 (I've had it for ages), 61 keys, connected via MIDISport Uno to my PC's USB port.

And yes, there is a Transpose button that lets me move it down a couple keys in "real life". However, every time I control a virtual instrument with my keyboard, it still starts from C1, so I don't think I'm transposing the MIDI output...

As for your 2nd advice, yes I have it as an Instrument track. I tried something like what you suggested but it was after recording the MIDI (which turned out useless since I need the octave change while I record).

I'll definetly give it a shot!
Old 03-04-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the response!

I have a Casio CTK-530 (I've had it for ages), 61 keys, connected via MIDISport Uno to my PC's USB port.

And yes, there is a Transpose button that lets me move it down a couple keys in "real life". However, every time I control a virtual instrument with my keyboard, it still starts from C1, so I don't think I'm transposing the MIDI output...

As for your 2nd advice, yes I have it as an Instrument track. I tried something like what you suggested but it was after recording the MIDI (which turned out useless since I need the octave change while I record).

I'll definetly give it a shot!
No, with real time properties, as I understand it, the transpose affects the incoming data, so it should translate down an octave and play whatever is there as YOU play the keys, before recording anything.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
No, with real time properties, as I understand it, the transpose affects the incoming data, so it should translate down an octave and play whatever is there as YOU play the keys, before recording anything.
Awesome, that sounds like the fix! I wish I could test it out right now, but I'm at work...
Old 03-04-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Awesome, that sounds like the fix! I wish I could test it out right now, but I'm at work...
Rats, it didn't work

Here's what I tried:

Intrument Track --> Record Enabled --> MIDI Real-Time Properties --> Transpose by Oct -1 --> Write to Track ---> Record

C1 still plays C1 on my Casio. I suspect the "Write to Track" button in MIDI Real-Time Properties only changes the octave in the MIDI Editor.