Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2002, 07:19 PM

Default Important Question for Aurora Igniter users

I just ordered the Aurora Igniter 001 (the base card that is upgradable), for use with Gallery's Virtual VTR for video capture and playback. I noticed something on the Aurora website, a potential problem for Quicktime playback that I'd love to get some user feedback on.

They state:

Igniter - Problems Playing Back Video

I cannot get any video to appear on the outputs of the Igniter card.

- There are two contingencies that must be met in order for video to appear on the outputs of the Igniter card:

(1) The video must be in either the Aurora MJPEG A format (for the base card) or the Aurora Uncompressed format (for the Uncompressed option). If the video is in any other format (e.g. Cinepak, Photo JPEG) it will not be sent to the Igniter card's outputs.

(2) The Playback Preview Mode must NOT be in Computer Only mode. Place the Playback Preview Mode in either Computer and Video or Video Only mode. This can be accomplished via the Igniter Strip or the Ignition™ Control Panel's

This "contingency 1" has me troubled. Does this mean that the Aurora will only output video that is captured on an Aurora??? (They use the term Aurora MJPEG A format, rather than MJPEG which I know is industry standard).
I will need, at times, to output video that clients will bring to me. What if someone working on FinalCut, using the DV codec, does a Quicktime export? What about Avid users who export video? I'm hoping that this really is not an issue, and that video files that are exported from other apps can be copied to my drive and played immediately, without any conversion.

Thanks in advance. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-02-2002, 10:30 AM
Avid

Default Re: Important Question for Aurora Igniter users

Bob, your concers are valid. If it only supports its' own codec then that is ALL it will play. You will have to capture your own from tape. Avid video is omf and does not play on anything but Avid hardware inside of Pro Tools.
Old 10-02-2002, 07:06 PM

Doug,
Have you had firsthand experience with the Igniter? I'm hoping to get some feedback from end users - and you didn't mention whether or not you've used the card.
Old 10-03-2002, 01:40 PM
Avid

No, not w/ the Igniter, but the Miro works in teh same fassion, only supports its' own codecs. SO, I could be wrong, but I doubt it.
Old 10-05-2002, 07:33 PM

Any Igniter users here?