Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 04-10-2013, 03:04 PM

Default Some Praise

I figured since I'm questioning some of the decisions Avid has made regarding CPTK I thought I'd let them know that PT11 looks great and that, being a user of many VI's, I really look forward to the new power and features.

This has been a long time coming and it's truly a pleasure to see it finally come ashore.

Carl
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:09 PM

Default Re: Some Praise

100 % agreed

Thank you!
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021)
Apple M1 Max
Memory 64 GB
PreSonus Quantum 26x32 Thunderbolt
Old 04-10-2013, 03:09 PM

Another thread giving praise to Avid for PT11??

Careful... you might be starting to give them impression that some people are happy about this release!

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 04-10-2013, 07:03 PM

I'm bumping the praise.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:36 PM

PT 11 really looks promising. I am very excited as are many others. Kudos to the team that worked on its development! Many reasons to celebrate.

The only thing putting a major damper on the buzz surrounding this release is the way the CPTK upgrade has been handled. It does not affect me directly, but I feel for those that are affected.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lie View Post
I'm bumping the praise.

C
I'm praising the bump ;-)
Old 04-11-2013, 01:45 AM

DAWgEAR,

I concur with what you say completely.

The CPTK issue is a biggie, and for me it's all the more frustrating because absolutely everything about the new features in PT11 looks (and hopefully is) amazing.

As a big user of VIs that is one massive improvement. My 8 core Mac, which has oodles of power to run big session in Cubase and Logic, has alway felt like an underpowered 386sx when using Pro Tools. Unlike when I'm working on an audio only session, in which case Pro Tools has been a joy to work with.

The matrix style mixing ... having mini faders for all, or as many as I want, sends, while still having the send assignment boxes visible, unlike PT10 where you can only have a maximum of two mini faders, and by doing that you can't see what other send assignments you've made (unless you take up real estate on the arrange window, and even then you can't see them properly) ... is another massive item for me.

But the joy of that is tempered somewhat by the fact that the tiny meters in assignment boxes so you can see at a glance that there is signal going out via the send is a HD only feature.

If I end up just with plain old PT11, these new festures will dull the pain a little. But I'll have to to back to Cubase for surround mixing projects, and I'll have to change my workflow to stop using VCAs, the additional automation modes, and a few other bits and pieces. And no disc caching! Boy that will be frustrating.

But there's no way I’m going to pay $999 (£800 based on the exchange rate being used for uk prices for the standard upgrades) to keep the features I've already paid for with CPTK. That is a matter of principle, it's sharp practice, and morally repugnant. At $599 I might have swallowed hard and bit the bullet, upgrading to HD, but even that feels like a con trick, given that I'd be tied into much higher future version upgrade costs on an ongoing basis.

I see no justifiable reason why CPTK has been abandoned in the first place. It's just been done for purely financial reasons, not for programming efficiency's sake, Avid have gambled that CPTK owners are ripe for plucking, and now is the time to eat that turkey.

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread with another CPTK rant, I started out concurring with the comments in this thread, and I also said in other threads that the new PT11 feature set looks great, which it goes. I can't wait to get stuck into PT11, but unless Avid climb down, it's going to be plain PT11 for me, and a future in which some projects are worked to completion in Cubase.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:13 AM

Excited about this release too! Looking forward to AAE and AAX 64!

It was always a little strange proudly telling ones client's Pro Tools is the DAW of choice only to have to explain later on that DAE errors are quite normal

I am hoping that Native Instruments will not be the crash fest it had been under RTAS

Also hoping that I get my plugs into Pro Tools 11 for free like the good people at Celemony and others are doing If the likes of Sonnox sting me badly again I might have to leave them by the wayside.

I was pretty mad at the Pro Tools 10 upgrade price and held off from upgrading for the first time since Pro Tools 5. As it is I am reasonably happy with the £200 ish upgrade I paid to get to 10 & 11 today from a UK dealer

Keep it coming Avid!

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6