How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2015, 02:43 PM

Default Latency with Apollo thunderbolt

Hello

I'm about to buy an UAD Apollo 8 to use it on PT11. Right now I'm working with an old Apollo duo firewire.
I often use virtual instruments on instrument tracks and every UAD plugs add big latency so I can't play the instrument with my keyboard.

Will the latency be reduced with thunderbolt ?
How much will it be ?

Any other solution ?

Thanks!

J
Old 11-26-2015, 06:17 PM

Default Re: Latency with Apollo thunderbolt

Your virtual instruments are not running on the UAD DSP. So what native latency do they ad.... Basically what buffer size is your session running at?

You have everything in front of you to work out what is going on, and that is much more efficient than us having to ask you lots of questions.... Since you have not provided a lot of useful information about what you are actually doing. (Pro Tools versions, buffer size, basic system info, etc, what exact VIs, what UAD plugins, so e idea of session complexity, etc).

Start with not using UAD anything and just the Vis, and understand the latency seen there.

Then understand what exact UAD processing plugins are you using and what the expected latency of those plugins are. There is very good information in the UAD documentation for that, and for minimizing UAD plugin latency in general. UAD plugins not run through the UAD console are expected to add significant latency as they require high IO buffer size to run reliably. And any upconverting or similar UAD plugins can have inherently high internal latency. The bus limiters etc. Are just a no go for real time processing, working exactly as documented and expected. Depending on what you are foing you may even be better off monitoring through native (or no) post VI plugins or printing instrument tracks and doing plugin processing on any UAD plugins you want to use at mix time.

The latency you are seeing is likely dominated by buffer size (which is? At what sample rate?) or using inappropriate UAD plugins, neither will likely directly be fixed by going to a thunderbolt Apollo, but the more efficient thunderbolt Apollo may let you operate at a lower IO buffer size.... But if you have not tried tuning that down that buffer size (and maybe sample rate?) already and carefully optimizing your system or trying alternate workflows you may be wasting your time, swapping UAD hardware is not where I would start to solve whatever issue you are having.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-26-2015 at 06:33 PM.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:09 PM

You do have ADC enabled, I trust?
Old 11-27-2015, 12:20 PM

Hello

Thanks for your answers, and sorry for the lack of information.

I'm using PT11.3.1 on Yosemite with a Macpro 2013, and a UAD apollo duo firewire. Freq rate usually set to 48k.
The latency problems I have are the sames regardless of the VI or UAD plugins.

Let's say I have a session with one instrument track containing Kontakt 5. I usually set the buffer size to 128 or 256 so I can play the Kontakt instrument without audible latency.

If I add a UAD plugin on the same track (Moog filter for instance), the delay value displayed at the bottom of the track is 1143 samples.

So impossible to play the instrument with my keyboard, to much latency.

Changing buffer size value or misc options in the playback engine has no effect.

The most surprising is that six months ago I worked with PT10 and the same gear, and latency value was only about 600 samples with DAE set to 128 or 256.

So I was wondering if I'd get better results using an apollo 8 thunderbolt instead of my actual apollo duo fw.

I hope it's more clear..

Thank you
Old 11-27-2015, 12:31 PM

Don't play VI's through UAD plugins or any plugins with huge latency. Play your VI parts and then put the UAD plugins on during mix time. UAD plugins have tons of latency which is not a problem for mixing since ADC takes care of that. Also make sure Automatic Delay Comp is ON in Pro Tools and make sure you do not have any plugins on the master fader while recording.

TB bandwidth and latency results is better than FW, but there is no way to get around the huge latency as the UAD plugin has to go to and from the UA card.
Old 11-27-2015, 02:32 PM

Thank you Wall2wall, this is what I used to do so far (UAD only for mix time), but I was looking for a solution to play and compose music in PT, using UAD plugs.

I think I definitely have to forget this idea ..:)
Old 11-27-2015, 03:42 PM

Yeah it's not the best

I can track with slate plugs and avid plugs, but that's about it

TB latency is better but the plugs still have to process the sound......over sampling which is why they sound so dang good
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juh View Post
Thank you Wall2wall, this is what I used to do so far (UAD only for mix time), but I was looking for a solution to play and compose music in PT, using UAD plugs.

I think I definitely have to forget this idea ..:)
Yep. That is just not what the UAD plugins are really intended for. Do this processing at mix time (as you were), and/or find a native plugin that works for you.

If you were tracking say a live synth you could run the UAD plugins in the UAD Console, but a VI is already running inside Pro Tools so banging back out again to the console is not the same.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:44 PM

Default Latency with Apollo thunderbolt

Then there is this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post

Great Unit great converters- upgrade your studio sound today.....

$1400 USD with $40 flat ship to the lower 48

Free with purchase a Sig FW PCIE card approved for this device.....$140 dollar retail price.

Comes with the Analog classic bundle and softtube bass amp and 1/2 stack room plugs free
Click on the link (originally posted by) above ....sorry for the shameless plug....
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.