Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2015, 04:56 AM

Default iLok required for 30-day trial?

Hi. I'm a new PT user. This can't be right, can it? After installing the PT First program, when I try to start the application I'm road-blocked by the requirement for an iLok. I was able to download the app using only my iLok 'username'/password. But to run PT, the program is asking for an iLok/license to be present.

I can't imagine Avid would require a $50 device to use a 30-day Free trial (that I might decide doesn't work for me). So, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
alan
Old 09-08-2015, 08:00 AM

Default Re: iLok required for 30-day trial?

Pro Tools First uses iLok copy protection, but it can authorize your computer - an iLok USB key is not required.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/f...ls-First-FAQ#5
Old 09-08-2015, 08:50 PM

Thanks for the reply, jeffro. Problem is, PT First pauses, asks for the iLok, and at that point I can't go forward. I don't have an iLok. If I click "Cancel" (or whatever the button says; not at that computer right now), the dialog requesting the iLok closes...as does the PT program.

So if there's a way around I can't figure it out. Frankly, I don't have much time right now to mess around with this, so I deleted the trial, and I'll come back to it later perhaps if there's time. My understanding is PT doesn't run on Win 10 anyway, so I'd have to reconfigure that computer, etc.

But thanks for your help. I appreciate it...

Alan
Old 09-08-2015, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanStansbery View Post
Hi. I'm a new PT user. This can't be right, can it? After installing the PT First program, when I try to start the application I'm road-blocked by the requirement for an iLok. I was able to download the app using only my iLok 'username'/password. But to run PT, the program is asking for an iLok/license to be present.

I can't imagine Avid would require a $50 device to use a 30-day Free trial (that I might decide doesn't work for me). So, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
alan
Hang on, what you are saying does not make perfect sense... You are posting in a Pro Tools | First forum but talking about a *trial*.

Are you talking about the 30 day free trial of full Pro Tools or the free Pro Tools | First program (which is not a *trial*).

The earlier *does* needs a iLok 2 license key. The later works with an iLok authorization on disk. Both need you to install the iLok license manager on your computer.