Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2022, 12:56 PM

Default Re: MTRX Studio and DADMan UI issues

I would like output latency to be part of the folddown setups.

Reason being is multiple listening positions.
I can adjust levels between screen channels and surrounds for listener's distance from the screen through folddowns but I can't compensate for the delay changes. This would make client review easier.
Old 05-09-2022, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
This is a big issue to me - DVS has been recommended as a way to monitor system sound on the flagship interfaces but it's lacking for this purpose.
Is Dante Via any better as both softwares do not run well together I have been informed by Audinate.

Regards
Old 05-09-2022, 02:57 PM
Avid

That's a great idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post

I can adjust levels between screen channels and surrounds for listener's distance from the screen through folddowns but I can't compensate for the delay changes. This would make client review easier.
MTRX FAQ
Old 05-09-2022, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
This is a big issue to me - DVS has been recommended as a way to monitor system sound on the flagship interfaces but it's lacking for this purpose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
There's a global Delay time per output set in DADman. I suppose that I could set that for my TV and turn it off in Pro Tools, but that will be a hard habit to break after all these years. Also, that probably wouldn't account for the differences between Pro Tools' latency and DVS's latency.
I find the results absolutely negligible here between HD Native and DVS. An 0.3ms difference when measuring via Catchin Sync using video outside of Pro Tools. A genlocked Pro Tools system only offers quarter frame accuracy which equates to a 'tight' system potentially being up to 5ms out of sync at 25 frames per second.

I'm not sure DVS is really the problem here. I think what you are describing is just associated with all audio hardware whilst working in applications that don't have their own video offset settings. Particularly if you are using a large TV with a bunch of latency associated with it, HD hardware, DVS, RME interfaces, everything will be out of sync without setting an appropriate offset. HDX when running via coreaudio is atrociously worse than DVS, with something like 17ms of latency.

There are apps that allow you to compensate for offsets, like VLC. TVs can be a pain, from what I have experienced. Putting them in gaming mode can help, but they can also switch up their internal latency depending on the frame rates or resolutions of video are being send to them. It can be a bit of a nightmare.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 05-10-2022, 02:35 AM

Quote:

You can apply multiple listening positions by defining multiple monitor outputs using the same physical outputs. You can then use the trim on the outputs to adjust levels between screen channels and surrounds. You can also adjust the delay on each speaker. And you can even apply different EQ so it is optimized for each listening position.
Once the monitor outputs (listening positions) are defined, you simply switch between them when you want to change the listening position. See attached examples.Director position.jpg

Mix position.jpg
Old 05-10-2022, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
I find the results absolutely negligible here between HD Native and DVS. An 0.3ms difference when measuring via Catchin Sync using video outside of Pro Tools. A genlocked Pro Tools system only offers quarter frame accuracy which equates to a 'tight' system potentially being up to 5ms out of sync at 25 frames per second.

I'm not sure DVS is really the problem here. I think what you are describing is just associated with all audio hardware whilst working in applications that don't have their own video offset settings. Particularly if you are using a large TV with a bunch of latency associated with it, HD hardware, DVS, RME interfaces, everything will be out of sync without setting an appropriate offset. HDX when running via coreaudio is atrociously worse than DVS, with something like 17ms of latency.

There are apps that allow you to compensate for offsets, like VLC. TVs can be a pain, from what I have experienced. Putting them in gaming mode can help, but they can also switch up their internal latency depending on the frame rates or resolutions of video are being send to them. It can be a bit of a nightmare.
Agreed that the latency difference between DVS and HDX/HD Native isn't really the issue. For me, it's more about video sync offset being set in Pro Tools, then not being available when playing video back from other apps. Of course, I could setup different output sets with different delays, but with the Sources in Sum mode and either Source (Digilink or DVS) able to playback at any time, it will be hard to remember to switch the output sets every time.
Old 05-10-2022, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntp-jl View Post
You can apply multiple listening positions by defining multiple monitor outputs using the same physical outputs. You can then use the trim on the outputs to adjust levels between screen channels and surrounds. You can also adjust the delay on each speaker. And you can even apply different EQ so it is optimized for each listening position.
Once the monitor outputs (listening positions) are defined, you simply switch between them when you want to change the listening position. See attached examples.
Thanks for this info. I am setting it up now. I remember trying this earlier but the used speaker set was greyed out. And then on alternate monitors, the outputs were greyed out. I did not think to check if manually re-setting up an output set would work. But I do like a whole new SPQ setup can be built for the duplicated set for the alternate listening position.

I will say, with a large number of speakers in a set, it is tedious that you can't just duplicate a speaker set and have to do everything manually again (there are over 150 settings I'd have to redo manually.) I found a solution (though in a perfect DADman, this shouldn't be needed) to get around this missing feature:
  1. Rename the speaker output set to something else (don't save profile after making this change)
  2. "Import from Profile" and choose your current profile
  3. Select the original name of your speaker set (since it wasn't saved earlier, this will still be the original name in the original profile)
  4. Now change your output set names to whatever you want. Importing from the profile will have brought all the bass mgmt, eq, and trims from the original set into the new one you wish to modify.
Old 05-10-2022, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Thanks for this info. I am setting it up now. I remember trying this earlier but the used speaker set was greyed out. And then on alternate monitors, the outputs were greyed out. I did not think to check if manually re-setting up an output set would work. But I do like a whole new SPQ setup can be built for the duplicated set for the alternate listening position.

I will say, with a large number of speakers in a set, it is tedious that you can't just duplicate a speaker set and have to do everything manually again (there are over 150 settings I'd have to redo manually.) I found a solution (though in a perfect DADman, this shouldn't be needed) to get around this missing feature:
  1. Rename the speaker output set to something else (don't save profile after making this change)
  2. "Import from Profile" and choose your current profile
  3. Select the original name of your speaker set (since it wasn't saved earlier, this will still be the original name in the original profile)
  4. Now change your output set names to whatever you want. Importing from the profile will have brought all the bass mgmt, eq, and trims from the original set into the new one you wish to modify.
In some earlier versions of DADman, you could not have multiple monitor sets that use the same physical outputs, so that is probably why you have previously seen them as greyed out.

And yes, it would be easier if you could copy a monitor set but that is unfortunately not the case. The next release of DADman will have an improved import function. I haven't played around with it yet so I don't know if it would make it any easier than what you describe.
Old 05-17-2022, 12:54 PM

''The next release of DADman will have an improved import function''

Any news on this from Avid.

Regards
Old 05-18-2022, 02:03 AM

Hi MTRX Studio Users,

I was reading this thread https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=419064

I have an Apple Silicon M1 Max do I need to install Dante Virtual Soundcard for the MTRX Studio if I have Dante Via or Dante Remote installed on my system.

Can a MTRX Studio and my Digilink HD Native box (without HDX cards) be suitably connected using a Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 adapter.
Is it a requirement to use a Belkin usb-c to gigabit ethernet adapter for Dante connection into DADMan and a MTRX Studio.

Regards