Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 09-14-2018, 05:46 AM

Default Windows auto updated, now things are S-L-O-W

Yesterday Windows 7 automatically updated while my computer was on overnight. I wasn’t signed on at the time ( gee thanks Microsoft.)
PT12 now loads at glacial speed, but not every time. Project load functions are very slow, as are almost all functions.
But not every time.
This has happened about every six months or so, and in the past I have gone to Control Panel>Programs and removed the most recent Microsoft updates and operating speed returns to normal.
Not so this time. Has anyone else expetienced this, and what can be done?
And as long as we’re talking about this, how can I prevent these unsolicited updates? I have experienced my computer being tied up as long as an hour and a galf while “the system is geing configured.” It seems Microsoft should at least ask before taking over our computers- I don’t always have an hour and a half I can give up with no notice.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:25 AM

Default Re: Windows auto updated, now things are S-L-O-W

Why not turn off auto update in Windows Control Panel?
Also why not just unplug from the net when you don't need it? That way you don't get blindsided like you did.

QAPLA!
Old 09-14-2018, 08:37 AM

I restored to 8/26 last night because the last update caused Pro Tools to crash while loading and made some of my isotope stuff "disappear". I am running 3 Win 7 machines so I have the auto updates turned off and only do them one at a time to test-this one failed so the other two wont be getting this particular update.Oh, I tried restoring t 8/29 first which did not work so I went back to the next save , which worked.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64GTOBOY View Post
I restored to 8/26 last night because the last update caused Pro Tools to crash while loading and made some of my isotope stuff "disappear". I am running 3 Win 7 machines so I have the auto updates turned off and only do them one at a time to test-this one failed so the other two wont be getting this particular update.Oh, I tried restoring t 8/29 first which did not work so I went back to the next save , which worked.
Do you do manual restore points or let Windows do it on it's own? Back when I had my Windows system running XP and Sonar 8 I learned to not trust Windows to do restore points like it was advertised to do so I got in the habit of doing my own. Same reason I don't trust OSX and Time Machine and use a 3rd party program (Carbon Copy Cloner) to do what I need.

QAPLA!
Old 09-14-2018, 10:39 AM

Didn’t know I could disable auto updates until today. But how do I get it back to running at “normal” speed?
Old 09-14-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyrouse View Post
Didn’t know I could disable auto updates until today. But how do I get it back to running at “normal” speed?
What's your previous restore point? Windows creates them at irregular intervals.

QAPLA!
Old 09-14-2018, 03:37 PM

I have backup hard drives if necessary but I always try the Windoze backup first cuz it's usually the quickest. Plus I know when it last was working properly most of the time so I can usually just do one restore. Although I had to do two this time.