Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2016, 09:13 AM

Default Making the Switch? 2016 MacBookPro vs Surface Pro.

I have been an ardent Mac supporter/user for years now. Prior to switching to MAC-based PT in 2009, I tried without success (but with much frustration) to run PT on Windows.. back then, i believe it was WinXP/7. Granted, it was a different time period but since switching over, I've sworn by Mac. I have been dragging out the use of my 2009 MBP, patiently waiting through delayed announcements for months/years now for the new MBP to be released. The day arrived yesterday in which the 2016 MBPs were finally announced. However, it comes on the heals of an impressive announcement by MS about the Surface Pro in addition to a rather underwhelming display of the new 2016/17 MBPs features. I understand the Surface Pro is not the Surface Book and I necessarily need a laptop but the Surface Pro announcement had me second guessing my anticipated MBP purchase in lieu of a SP or SBP. That said, I readily admit that I am, at best, only moderately familiar with the nuances between the MS and Mac architectures as it relates to performance with PT 10/11/12. I am curious of the community's various experiences b/t running PT on Mac v. PCs, particularly in very recent times. It has always been my impression that it's (the computing response/power) not close and that Mac is clearly superior, but I'd like to hear the various thoughts of the community in light of the stepped-up game by Microsoft. Thoughts....?

(P.s. I suspect there's some highly strong feelings going in both directions. Let's please keep this discussion cordial and informed for the good of the community!)
Old 10-28-2016, 09:42 AM

Default Re: Making the Switch? 2016 MacBookPro vs Surface Pro.

Disclosure, I'm not a Mac guy.

Looking around, I know the allure of Mac's has been that they just "work" since Apple has complete control of the ecosystem - hardware and software. That said, every time Apple releases a new version of their OS it seems like something breaks. Always waiting for updated drivers, or updated software. For comparison sake, my main interface - M-Audio Project Mix IO - hasn't had driver updates in years, but I installed the Win7 driver on my Win10 computer and right away it worked.

If you compare the price of a Mac to a similarly powered PC, the PC is going to be WAY cheaper, or you can get twice the system for the same money - whichever works for you.

I'd also be insulted that Apple where selling essentially the same computers for the last what, 3 years? No hardware upgrades but still charging a premium..

All that said, I'm typing this on a Linux box, so I'm also not dedicated to M$. :) And I know the build quality of Apple products really are second to none. There are definite advantages to each.

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 10-28-2016, 09:58 AM

I have a Surface Pro. I haven't tried ProTools on it yet because of the risk to my studio-critical iLok, but it should be perfectly fine. DP runs on the Surface Pro.

I would look at the Surface Book if you plan to run ProTools, and consider expansion options (USB3, etc).

I am running PT11HD on Win8, and it is fine. I plan to move that system to Win10 soon (which is the OS the SB comes with). I don't see any reason to stick with a Mac unless you simply prefer the OS for some reason.

I've never found a strong enough reason to choose a Mac over PC. I've used them for years, and always consider a Mac when it comes time to upgrade the main studio PC - simply for sake of weighing all of my options. The Mac Book Pros are nice, but the touch screen of the Surface Pro/Book gives it a significant advantage (once you use a touch screen, even if just for daily work rather than a DAW, it is hard to go back to non-touch screens).
Old 10-28-2016, 11:15 AM

Hey Guys, thanks for the responses. Yeah, I certainly get the economic argument. For low-to-mid computing requirements, you certainly get a ton more for the money with a PC than a Mac. I guess for me, it was always a question of whether PT operated seamlessly with Win given the demands of real time audio processing. Can anybody say that taking the top line Surface Book/Pro/Studio and the topline i7 2017 MBP, there is a significant difference in processing power (or the lack thereof)?

Again, going back a number of years, most of the audio suites were written primarily for Mac and seemingly, their windows counterparts were a throw-in after the fact. Speaking of, I know PT12 has moved over to the AAX plugin format, but for the older RTAS/VSTs (I believe that is correct??), does anyone know if the those plugins are cross-platform compatible in PC. IOW, can my waves bundle in Mac be reinstalled/used in Windows? As far as the touch-screen capabilities of the Surface, I couldn't agree more that that is a very attractive feature. I was really hoping that would be included on the new MBPs, but obviously, no such luck.

dterry, what do you mean 'risk to my studio-critical iLok'? What risks does using the surface present?

Thanks gang.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshTheCvmn View Post

dterry, what do you mean 'risk to my studio-critical iLok'? What risks does using the surface present?
It's the same risk as any laptop - a USB key hanging off the side, or in a USB hub is at more risk for breakage than one tucked away in the machine room.

As far as Windows performance - PT11HD (with MOTU audio I/O) is comparable to Cubase and Nuendo here. It actually might be slightly better in some cases. There are AAX versions for most everything, and PT Windows runs AAX too. I haven't lost much of anything in VST format moving from Nuendo to ProTools. In most VST testing, Windows has often outperformed Macs with comparable hardware.

At one time, PT may have been better on a Mac, but I doubt that is the case anymore (given how well it runs here).

How well it translates to a Surface Book (or any laptop) depends more on the hardware you use - audio I/O, external storage, USB devices, etc.
Old 11-25-2016, 11:30 PM

I have used Pro Tools extensively on a Mac for years in various studios and recently setup a home studio operating in windows 10.

The very first thing I want to point out to you is that the keystrokes are different. It took me sometime getting use to it, but it'll come along. I switch from Mac to PC daily and at times get mixed up on the keystrokes.

I just recently installed Pro Tools 12.6 on my surface pro 4 (i5) and the one thing I did notice is the lack of function keys. You would have to enable the (FN) key to be able to switch between slip, grid, etc. Of course there are other keystrokes to achieve that but that's my method. I also realized I can't bring up the project session and other windows (ctrl 1, ctrl 2, etc.) in the surface type cover keyboard. I'm sure there is a way, but I haven't figured it out yet, unless someone knows how.

Hopefully I gave you some insight.