Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2017, 04:04 PM

Default PT12 and Mackie Universal Control track names scrambled, anyone?

Anyone successfully using Mackie Control Universal with Pro Tools 12?

I use my Alphatrack -also in HUI mode- and it works perfectly fine. Everytime I switch tracks, it consistently displays the correct track name (abbreviation) on the blue LCD screen, but with the Mackie Control Universal it's never the case, it works in banks of 8 tracks as expected in HUI mode, but always about half of them displays some weird text instead of track name abbreviation, sometimes the word "Auto", sometimes random characters, sometimes it appears blank, and when I switch to the next 8 tracks bank (or channel) it gets worse, some track names appear repeated, many of them blank, etc. But it's only track name that's affected because every other channel item seems to work fine, the fader, all buttons, and also transport funtions works as expected. HUI functionality is very limited, but at least I would like to be able to use it that way since Avid decided not to implement MCU communication support, which works so much better than HUI.

Tried both MCU and MCU XT together and apart, same problem. In MCU mode they work perfectly fine in Cubase 9, and also in Logic Pro X 10.3 in it's proprietary Logic mode.

It's a real drag because you have to check the computer display everytime to figure out which channels correspond to what on surface, it becomes pretty much unusable.

I wonder if the same happens with older Mackie HUI, or the newer MCU PRO and XT.

The systems I tried with same results are:

Pro Tools 12.5 12.6 12.7

Mac mini server late 2012 on 10.11.6 and 10.12.0 up to 10.12.3
MacBook Pro Retina 15" late 2013 on 10.11.5

Mackie Control Universal and Extender, both with 2.1.2 firmware (also tried older 2.1.1 on both)

Sound Engineer | Non-Avid Employee

Last edited by Cacov; 02-21-2017 at 02:31 PM.
Old 04-16-2017, 01:32 PM

Default Re: PT12 and Mackie Universal Control track names scrambled, anyone?

Anyone willing to share their personal experience? I just want to know if it's me making a configuration mistake, which would be the best case scenario. If it's a known issue I guess I should give up trying. I have not found a single post anywhere on this particular matter. Thanks!

Old 04-16-2017, 02:09 PM

Look Good here, it's abbreviate like : Lead Vox = LdVr but other like Drum are ok
Old 04-16-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock999 View Post
Look Good here, it's abbreviate like : Lead Vox = LdVr but other like Drum are ok

Damn... Please let me know if you get some strange behaviour when you change to the next 8 track bank and so. Tnx!

Old 04-16-2017, 03:34 PM

25 tracks and still good going thru the bank
Old 04-16-2017, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock999 View Post
25 tracks and still good going thru the bank
Thanks man, I finally isolated the problem: I have a malfunctioning MIDIBOX MATE 4x4 crappy interface, or (most probably) it is faulty by design. I connected the MCU thru the Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 MIDI port and the problem was gone. Its a pitty since I specially bought the MIDIBOX 4x4 for use with the MCU and MCU XT as more ports are required. It's virtually impossible to find another 4x4 interface at this moment here in Chile, I had to buy it from Aliexpress.