Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2016, 05:58 PM

Default Looking for advice on HD Native Configuration

I'm currently using a Digi 003 with Pro Tools 10 and have been thinking of upgrading to 12 for some time. I recently noticed the Digi003 trade in program and am considering upgrading to HD Native. I'm using all 8 inputs on the 003 and light piping an additional 8. I would like to upgrade to a device that can accept 16 channel TRS/xlr input and allow me to add a mixer control surface. Could someone recommend an upgrade path? I thought about a HD I/O 16x16 but I didn't see inputs on the audio interface or control surface (I'm sure I'm missing something) how would I connect my gear. (The 003 has it's own inputs) I'm assuming from the card--> to the audio interface (I/O 16) -->to the controller but I still don't see where I would connect my outboard gear (mics, synths, etc)

Thanks for the help
Old 12-15-2016, 06:27 PM

Default Re: Looking for advice on HD Native Configuration

What controller do you have? If you mean the 003 then you can't use it to connect to a HD PCIe card, you would have to use it as a spdif or similar unit for the extra inputs and outputs but you can't have it connected to any card used for HD system.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-15-2016, 06:56 PM

Indeed, its time to box up the old 003(I did the same 2 years ago). My 2 cents, the interface you need is the 16x16 analog HD IO. However, having said that, its also one of the more expensive options, as a NEW purchase. Used HD IO boxes can be had for $2K or less. All(except OMNI, which I don't think would be right for you) have their IO on DB25 ports(which is getting to be fairly standard for audio connections these days). You could also save some money by grabbing a pair of older 192 IO boxes. But there are details about those you need to know. There are 2 versions, the 192 DIGITAL and the "standard" 192. The DIGITAL version only has digital IO(which means you need external digital conversion). The "standard" 192 has 8 IO on analog(DB25) and 8 IO on digital(AES and/or lightpipe). There is also an expansion slot so you can add EITHER 8 more analog inputs, or 8 more analog outputs. So, 192 with an extra INPUT card gives you 16 inputs(from your mic pre's or console) and 8 analog outputs(you CAN use an external box to give you the other 8 outputs with something like the Behringer ADA8200). So, in short, the 192 is still a good sounding box, and a fairly inexpensive option if you find a fair deal(I paid $700 for mine, WITH an extra input card). Remember that the HDN card can handle up to 4 192/HD IO's for a total of 64 IO. My rig is a pair of HD IO(8x8x8 version) and the 192 and all work great together(while I have not tested, I would expect there to be a small difference in latency thru each hardware unit due to different converters in the older 192). For me, this is not an issue.

At least as of the current version of HD(12.7) the 192 still works great. Avid has said that while they no longer SUPPORT it, they will not intentionally "break" it. You might be tempted to buy the cheaper 96IO, but I recommend against it. You are looking to upgrade, and the 96IO uses the cheaper 003 converters(so its not really an upgrade)

If you need a control surface, look at the new Presonus Faderport8. I have used the original faderport for years and it has been a great little box Currently using the old FP along with an Artist Mix and Transport(I could live without the Transport, but I got a great deal on the pair).

Last detail, you are going to need a monitor controller. My best "bang for the buck" is the Presonus Central Station(if you buy a used one, try to get the later version with the simple power connector, and NOT the older 5-pin XLR).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-15-2016, 07:00 PM

HD 12.7

Are you from the future Dave On this planet we still have HD 12.6.1

Otherwise I agree with everything he said except for buying anything from Behringer hehe.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-15-2016, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
HD 12.7

Are you from the future Dave On this planet we still have HD 12.6.1

Otherwise I agree with everything he said except for buying anything from Behringer hehe.
Trust me, Behringer has come a looooong way since the old silver crap. The new stuff that is built in "Behringer City", alongside the new Midas stuff, is as good as most anything out there. Having worked on several X32mixers, the beat both Yamaha and Soundcraft in that range. A friend's band has an X32 Compact that got drenched in several gallons of water(tent failure) and its still working great a full year later(only damage is a white bar an inch wide up the right side of the display). There are certainly other options, but I would take a $200 ADA8200 over my $600 OctoPre Mk II Dynamic any day of the week(except for NOT liking the inputs being on the front).

Forgot to mention, the 192 would require an adapter to the newer mini-digilink, but this adapter SHOULD be included with a new HDN card(mine came with it).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-15-2016, 07:23 PM

Dave,

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. I think I have a game plan now and will look into your suggestions. I think I have until the end of the year to trade in the 003