Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Additional Resources

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 02-17-2017, 10:10 AM

Default A little help, please: What hardware gear for PT + LOGIC + KONTAKT?

Hello everyone

I'm not sure that my post belongs on this particular forum or even on this site. Sorry if such is the case.

I have been using a mac G3 and a digi 001 card with PT5LE for the past 15 years. And, well, wish now to upgrade...
I plan to buy both PT (for audio tasks) and Logic (midi tasks) and use some syncing protocole as described here or there on the web. I would like both to work with kontakt (I know about the tricky thing regarding PT's AAX plugs with kontakt but hope to get around it...). I plan to make videos too (Finalcut pro or anything). Of course, this purchase is supposed to make for years and years of work.
My first question: what mac computer should I buy (and with what OS (capitan, maverick) ?) a) an imac beefed up at 32 go b) a Macpro c)a Macbook pro, since it might seem the best deal in terms of power to price ratio. d) wait until Apple's next roll-outs (but I'm afraid of wasting months for not much)?
I've read that an imac could get stalled with ten virtual instruments and a couple of plugs, where a Macpro would not. But I know too that the Mac pro is now an oldish thing bound to be scrapped from Apple'roster.
Second point: I've read Avid's advice regarding the audio interface. And though: should I buy for instance an apollo (€ 2k) or some €300 gear + a good preamp?
No clue either as to whether a single interface can make it for two DAWs. Please, can you tell me since I'm really no king with computers...
As you may feel, i'm just asking what hardware I should exactly buy (within the limit of, say, 5-6000 euros (=dollars) to get some good Pt-Logic-kontakt setup.
Thank you for any answer, comprehensive or not, and sorry again if this post doesn't belong here.