How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2022, 02:01 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Public Beta: December 2022

I've seen quite a few threads about 'native plugins not showing up in the Apple Silicone' build of PT. Just to be clear:

Many plugins that are 'apple silicone enabled' were not AAX Apple Silicon enabled. They were coded as universal binaries, but for VST and AU, not AAX. Since Avid just released their developer build of Apple Silicone native ProTools very recently, it's going to take some time to get them also coded for AS-AAX.

This is a list someone is maintaining of what works and what does so far. Of the 500 or so plugins I have, only about 50 are probably working now. Companies that appear to be fully ported at this point, McDSP, Eventide, Acon Digital, Zplane, Znaptique, Polyverse, ReFuse, I think Sonnox and most Valhalla plugins. Sound Toys, Oeksound, You'll need the latest installers from their websites. Kontakt 7 also works now. Liquisonics reverbs also work.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=756361559

Companies not yet working in AS-AAX: Fabfilter, Waves (though a Beta exists that works so I expect it soon), Air Instruments I think not yet, most other Native Instruments, Plugin-Alliance, GRM Tools, Melda, DMG I think, Audioease.

So it's gonna take some time, probably months, for every developer to get up to speed. You can download PT Pref v2 and it can generate a spreadsheet showing you which plugins are Intel and which are Universal Binaries, but again just because something is a Universal Binary doesn't mean it will run as AAX. Melda is a good example, it shows UP as a Universal Binary but won't yet run in AAX under Apple Silicone.
Old 12-28-2022, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues Bird View Post
So, are there any real life benefits in running 2022.12 in Rosetta mode and under Ventura against 2022.10 under Monterey? (I already ruled the native beta out since I don‘ t want (and actually can not afford) to lose my C-24 and a ton of needed plugins).

And does 2022.12 in Rosetta mode and under Ventura work with a C-24?
I see no benefits at the moment.
Pro Tools Public Beta is in an early state,
and I believe it needs a couple of months ...

It will probably work in Rosetta under Ventura.

But I am staying with 2022.10 and Monterey.

Lets hope we will see a M1/M2 driver for C|24. Its a great console.
Old 12-28-2022, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemylon View Post

The benefits are the bug fixes in the new version. If you don't want to run the beta, just use 2022.12 under Rosetta on either Monterey or Ventura. I don't believe there are any specific benefits to Ventura itself for Pro Tools, but you may have other reasons you want to run it.
The non-beta version of 2022.12 is a fully working version of Pro Tools with a whole bunch of fixes - the ReadMe file runs to 43 pages.

Dominic
Old 12-28-2022, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklyn View Post
AU Version don't have to be U2B you can load Intel-only AU plug ins in Patchworks AAX native. That the cool Part to use "Rosetta" Au Plug ins in ProTools silicon native.
I meant if you want to have a fully ARM native experience. Non native AUs loads up in BCP AAX by using "AUHostingCompatibilityService", which consumes much more resources from your system then a native process loaded directly
Old 12-28-2022, 04:47 PM

Quote:

Avid are out of their minds if they remove C24 and ICON series support from Pro Tools...

The outcome will be exactly the same as the TDM to HDX transition where very few users ever bothered to buy Avid hardware again, and suddenly the vast majority of Pro Tools "The Industry Standard" equipped studios look and function totally identically to any Joe Blow with a home studio setup in the corner of their campus dorm room.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 12-28-2022, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
Avid are out of their minds if they remove C24 and ICON series support from Pro Tools...
Mmm yep. Never seen a company so good at training their user base to not buy stuff from them. I'm so happy to be on RME interfaces and just don't see every being willing to buy any Avid hardware.
Old 12-28-2022, 06:43 PM

Just sharing for others hunting around for native AAX plug updates. Slate Digital's Fresh Air seems to have been silently updated. I had version 1.0.8 installed (the AAX was Intel 64) and the Slate Digital Connect app showed me as current, but I went ahead and downloaded the installer from the website and ran it and now Fresh Air shows as "Apple, Intel 64".
Old 12-28-2022, 08:01 PM

A lot's been mentioned and they'll be issues (and I don't have every plugin known to humankind) but I like the performance bump (FWIW). Do report the bugs though :)

Happy new year all!

len b
Old 12-28-2022, 09:07 PM

I'm curious... is this public beta going to pretty much be the only beta release to the public until the official release? Or... as Avid swats the bugs... will those of us who are attempting to run it natively have the opportunity to download incremental versions with the bug fixes? Maybe Avid Link could just indicate "Includes bug fixes for ARM code. Intel users do not need to download." Just wondering.
Old 12-28-2022, 09:09 PM

Quote:

I use Monterey and I've been using 2022.12. It works exactly the same but a whole lot better. Much better CPU. You should give it a try. Not sure if you can go back to 2022.10 if you upgrade but so far, it's been really good.

JusMyThought, Marc
New System: Macbook Pro M1 Max/16 gigs of Ram/Monterey/3 UAD Quad Satellites/2 PCIe Quad UAD cards/Waves Digigrid/Antelope Zen Pro/OWC 3 Slot Thunderbolt PCIe unit/Over 1400 plugins (Beta Tester for 15 different companies)

YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaZYp2wNomc
Closed Thread