Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 06-16-2019, 09:10 AM

Default Why I consider Avid Cloud a massive failure

I own 5 Protools licenses which I use constantly between my studio in London and other locations where I am touring.
I find myself often collaborating with clients in different time zones and it has always been a priority in my job to be able to share sessions.
I have been using Avid Cloud since day 1
My great excitement faded away quite instantly and unfortunately things have not improved at all in the latest releases.
My Avid Cloud is there abandoned with no space available due to a bug and a non responsive Avid customer service to solve the problem.
These are the basic problems that don't make it worth using it:

Project transfer speed:
Unless you use it in a regular studio with a VERY FAST connection at least 100mb upload and above , the time to transfer files , open and close projects is insanely slow and making your workflow slower.
you will spend more time waiting for the windows WAITING FOR TRANSFER TO FINISH to disappear than working on your project.

Impossible to use on the road as no internet hotel connection will have the minimum speed required to share more than 1 track

Poor file management:
10G of space for 49GBP per year are barely enough to use 1/2 projects , especially if you intend to share the whole session.
Forget 96khz as it will kill your space.
Projects tend to get bigger and bigger as deleting unused files is very tricky if not almost impossible.

Confusing file history and project versions.

It will crash and you will loose files.
This has happened a few times already.
The way it works makes it impossible to see what happens in the background, you cannot even see how much data is being transferred and understand if there is a problem.

A the end of the day i have gone back to using my Dropbox pro and leave the sessions i work on there.
I have MUCH MORE SPACE at a decent price, great transfer speed and absolute transparency about where files are.

Like every other Avid products is also very overpriced.

I'll be back when this thing has proper real time collaboration and the speed that we require in these days.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:02 AM

Default Re: Why I consider Avid Cloud a massive failure

Thanks for sharing your experience based on real world usage. I'm not surprised at all and delivering crap at the same time stating you're the industry standard etc is just embarrassing.

I'm happy I never got on that train wreck. And can't wait for another DAW to raise the bar for "industry standard".
Old 06-16-2019, 11:43 AM

Cloud collaboration and Projects appear to be a train wreck (good choice of words). I'd hope Avid solves the problems, but there is no way I'd trust putting anything on there. Right now it's mostly harming Avid's reputation with Pro Tools First users, and that's unfortunate.

The engineering/product team delivering this needs a hard look at. It's been a clear ongoing issue, visible for a long time, so why is stuff not fixed? This is bad enough that I'd hope that is an executive/board level discussion and if tied to outsourcing engineering to a third party then the board should be looking at the issues there including options to claw back costs or terminate contracts. Strange with 2019.5 being so strong and Media Composer getting a lot of new love, I hope this is mess is limited to one area/team that can be repaired or cut loose.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:38 AM

I just wish they would focus on things that matter instead of cramming these half-baked nuisance 'features' into every new release.

Imagine being a potential new user and loading up Pro Tools First to test the waters. I would be running away to Studio One or Logic asap.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:24 AM

Wondering...

Just HOW is Avid responsible for the speed of the internet connection you get on the road or in a hotel?

www.LightWingStudios.com

Musical Instrument Protection Accessories...Made In America.

Dell Precision T7910, Dual Processors (total 20 Cores), 128GB RAM, 4 @ 2TB SSDs, 1 @ 4TB HDs, Nvidia 2GB Dual Monitor Card, Dual LG 48" TVs used as Monitors, Arturia 88 Midi Controller, Black Lion USB Audio Interface, Mackie HR-828 Monitors, Katana Head, Fishman Triple Play, Win 10 Pro, PT 2023.3 Studio, only the Plugins I NEED, WAY TOO MANY Guitars...and an AMAZING wife!

AxeShield HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, AxeSak, AxeGlove, AxeCap & PedalShield
Old 06-17-2019, 10:59 AM

While Avid is not responsible for internet speed, they are very much responsible for designing and building a product robust enough to withstand all manner of internet issues, including slow connection speeds, unexpected disconnects, intermittent connections, etc. Before I retired from my job as a software engineer, the cardinal rules were to never lose data and to always recover gracefully from external communication errors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightWing View Post
Wondering...

Just HOW is Avid responsible for the speed of the internet connection you get on the road or in a hotel?
Old 06-17-2019, 02:57 PM

i tried and paid quite a bit to use the Steinberg Version ... another disaster ...

and when it worked it was pretty cool, in realtime !!! but it would crash or freeze up ... even with good connections ... i had some interaction with Yamaha for tech support but that just stopped ..

tried the Avid Version ... i end up just deleting this and this Avid Link Thing now .. just stop, and stop changing the names like we will not notice and think we have something New and Exciting .. please ..

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 06-17-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JingleDjango View Post
I just wish they would focus on things that matter instead of cramming these half-baked nuisance 'features' into every new release.

Imagine being a potential new user and loading up Pro Tools First to test the waters. I would be running away to Studio One or Logic asap.
Agree
Old 06-19-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JingleDjango View Post

I’m still waiting for Uber-Eats on AUX sends......
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 06-19-2019, 05:44 PM

I don’t recall many ever asking for this anyway.
Many other repetitive requests have been ignored.