How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2012, 07:49 PM

Default Quick audio output question

Hi All,

I'm using Pro Tools 10 on a Windows machine, and I'm using the ASIO4All v2 driver software for the audio output to my headphones. When doing this, once I open pro tools, the only audio on my computer that I can hear has to come from within the Pro Tools program. I cannot, for example, go to youtube and listen to a video while Pro Tools is up. I have to close Pro Tools first before I can begin listening to any other source of audio on my computer. Likewise, if I already have some other source of audio playing when I open Pro Tools, then Pro Tools' audio won't work until I close and re-open it with nothing else open.

Is there a way for me to toggle my sound output back and forth while Pro Tools is running so that I don't have to keep closing the program just to hear outside audio sources? For example, I want to be able to sample a bunch of mp3s on my computer while my Pro Tools session is open without having to import each of them into Pro Tools (or close Pro Tools) just to listen to them.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:53 AM

Default Re: Quick audio output question

P:

Welcome to the forum. It is ironic that you've asked this question as I started a thread about using the internal sound card on a Win7 64 bit machine just a day or two ago.

I wouldn't be surprised if the ASIO4ALL driver was a one trick pony for PT only when loaded.

If you are doing anything at all remotely important in PT, you'll not want to launch any other programs (especially audio) while working on a project.

I do understand the 'need' to occasionaly bop out of PT - I can do that with my PT rigs outfitted with interfaces (e.g. Focusrite, M-Audio)

Best

-D
Old 05-01-2012, 08:32 AM

Have you tried listening to the samples through the PT project browser - I think it supports MP3.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:51 AM

Ah great, thanks Dave. That works for mp3s that are on my computer. Is there a way to listen to sound from sources that are not stored locally (e.g. a youtube video) without having to close Pro Tools first?
Old 05-01-2012, 08:55 AM

Thanks for the response, Don!
Old 05-01-2012, 10:12 AM

To listen to two sources you need a multiclient compatible interface and driver.
I don't know if ASIO4ALL is multiclient.
My interface does not support multiclient so I've never tried it.
Others probably know more!
Old 05-01-2012, 12:09 PM

Mm, sounds like a hassle then. I suppose I'll just continue to save & close whenever I need to hear an outside audio source. Thank you!
Old 05-01-2012, 02:19 PM

I run the computer audio outs into my 003r in the alt 3/4 inputs. When i want to listen to itunes or i hit alt 3/4 button and the music or vid audio comes thru my monitors. When i go back to pro tools, i hit the button again to toggle back to my pro tools main outputs.

Its wired externally from the computer. This has been a long time issue with the core audio driver in Pro tools. The best way to get both is come from the computer sound card outs into your interface.

windows and mac, your mileage will vary.

Chris

http://soundcloud.com/regenerationmix

http://twitter.com/regenerationmix

MacBook Pro, 2.4GHZ, 16GB, Intel Core i7, Mac OS 10.9.1 128 SSD internal HD, 750 GB Internal HD, Pro Tools 10.3.8, Digidesign 003r, Waves 8.0, Final Cut Pro 7