Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 06-21-2015, 12:53 PM

Default Would Appreciate An Official Word on How Dual Buffering is Handled

One of the major features touted by Pro Tools 11 was its system of using a fixed playback buffer, and only using a smaller buffer when the track was record enabled. This seemingly should mean we see the performance of the machine at 1024 if we only have say one track record enabled. But myself and many others have noticed that turning up the input/record buffer, the only one adjustable by the user, lowered our CPU usage and have us fewer CPU overload errors, just like in the old days. The manual says that any "aux track with live input" uses the record buffer. Wouldn't that mean every aux send, save some very rare situations? Unless there's a render file, but how could it respond the changes made on other tracks? So I feel like in any real scenario, you're constantly running tracks that have a buffer set by the input buffer, and therefore this is not nearly as exciting or useful as described. Am I correct in these assumptions? I would just like to get definitive word about whether or not aux inputs acting as say FX returns are considered to be receiving live input and are therefore at the record buffer, and that's why CPU lessens when you increase it.
Old 06-21-2015, 02:30 PM

Default Re: Would Appreciate An Official Word on How Dual Buffering is Handled

Avid ?
Old 06-21-2015, 06:50 PM

Not on the weekends brah....
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 06-21-2015, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbyclash34 View Post
One of the major features touted by Pro Tools 11 was its system of using a fixed playback buffer, and only using a smaller buffer when the track was record enabled. This seemingly should mean we see the performance of the machine at 1024 if we only have say one track record enabled. But myself and many others have noticed that turning up the input/record buffer, the only one adjustable by the user, lowered our CPU usage and have us fewer CPU overload errors, just like in the old days. The manual says that any "aux track with live input" uses the record buffer. Wouldn't that mean every aux send, save some very rare situations? Unless there's a render file, but how could it respond the changes made on other tracks? So I feel like in any real scenario, you're constantly running tracks that have a buffer set by the input buffer, and therefore this is not nearly as exciting or useful as described. Am I correct in these assumptions? I would just like to get definitive word about whether or not aux inputs acting as say FX returns are considered to be receiving live input and are therefore at the record buffer, and that's why CPU lessens when you increase it.
Live input means an input from an interface (Live monitoring path). Not an internal buss input from within PT. This thread might help a bit.
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?p...th#post2105958

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 6800k
Win 10
Old 06-22-2015, 05:06 AM

There is no mention of a 'dual buffer' in the PT 11 Manual. The description of the buffer is basically the same as it has always been.

Hardware Buffer Size
The Hardware Buffer Size (H/W Buffer Size) in the Playback Engine controls the size of the buffer used to handle host processing tasks such as processing with host-based, or “Native” plug-ins.
• Lower Hardware Buffer Size settings are useful for improving latency issues in certain recording situations or for improving certain system performance problems:
• On all Pro Tools systems,lower settings reduce MIDI-to-audio latency (such as when playing a virtual instrument live and monitoring the instrument’s output). Lower settings can also improve screen response or the accuracy of plug-in and mute automation data.
• On host-based Pro Tools systems, lower settings reduce all input-to-output monitoring latency on any record-armed tracks or Auxiliary Input tracks with live inputs.
• On HDX systems, lower settings reduce monitoring latency that occurs on tracks that have one or more Native plug-ins. Lower settings
can also improve the accuracy of MIDI track timing on systems without a MIDI interface that supports time stamping. Lower settings also improve MIDI track timing on tracks using MIDI virtual instruments that do not support time stamping.
• Higher Hardware Buffer Size settings are useful for sessions that are using more Native plug-ins for playback. These settings allow for more audio processing. They can also be useful to reduce errors on machines that require a higher buffer size.

ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo /Intel Pro 2 Quad Core-rackmount PC
Windows 7 professional 64 bit
Pro-Tools 11.3.1
AIR Instrument Expansion Pack v2
WAVES Platinum plugin bundle
M-AUDIO FastTrack ULTRA 8R Interface
Roland RD-300 / Novation XiO Keyboards
Mackie 12 channel Analog Mixer
Adam A8X monitors

Estonia Parlor Grand Piano
Yamaha Studio Drum kit

https://soundcloud.com/dc-choppah
Old 06-22-2015, 06:16 AM

Well this isn't a technical explanation; but imagine PT rendering your output one minute before realtime (when you start to hear click in the cans), which would mean it has already calculated whatever you need to hear in the cans while recording. That would mean the software only needs to stream one feed from memory and record what you want to record, so therefore recording buffer can be lowest possible.

Now replace that "one minute" with a reasonable amount of time (say, a second?) between hitting record and hearing the click and we're almost there.

Of course, this is not how it works because you can adjust levels realtime, but to understand the concept of dual buffers this is as close as it gets if we talk layman's terms.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:07 AM

I think his main question was one that's been asked before, with no clear answer:

That is, if every track other than those record-enabled is supposed to be playing back at a buffer of 1024, why is he still seeing a CPU hit when lowering the buffer setting, which should only affect tracks that are record-enabled? In other words, if only a few tracks (record-enabled) are operating at the low buffer, and the rest are at the max buffer, the overall performance should be similar to running at the max buffer in PT10 and earlier. But apparently that's not the case. Setting the buffer lower for record-enabled tracks seems to be affecting all the tracks, just like the old system. That shouldn't be the case, according to Avid's description of how it works.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:14 PM

nst7

There are two buffers, one for input (record) and one for output (playback) both are set to the same size via the Playback Engine H/W Buffer Size menu. http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2267209&postcount=75 shows measurements for HD Native Omni and I/O. Post http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2...&postcount=176 shows calculations demonstrating that there are two identically sized buffers in series (input and output) for RTL. It also shows my predictions for HDX RTL, which seems to have everyone upset. (Understandably so if they are correct!) It sure would be nice if someone with HDX would do some measurements, especially since RTL latency compensation and ADC seem to cause so much misery! - http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=352076

Amack

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
I think his main question was one that's been asked before, with no clear answer:

That is, if every track other than those record-enabled is supposed to be playing back at a buffer of 1024, why is he still seeing a CPU hit when lowering the buffer setting, which should only affect tracks that are record-enabled? In other words, if only a few tracks (record-enabled) are operating at the low buffer, and the rest are at the max buffer, the overall performance should be similar to running at the max buffer in PT10 and earlier. But apparently that's not the case. Setting the buffer lower for record-enabled tracks seems to be affecting all the tracks, just like the old system. That shouldn't be the case, according to Avid's description of how it works.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amack View Post
nst7

There are two buffers, one for input (record) and one for output (playback) both are set to the same size via the Playback Engine H/W Buffer Size menu. http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2267209&postcount=75 shows measurements for HD Native Omni and I/O. Post http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2...&postcount=176 shows calculations demonstrating that there are two identically sized buffers in series (input and output) for RTL. It also shows my predictions for HDX RTL, which seems to have everyone upset. (Understandably so if they are correct!) It sure would be nice if someone with HDX would do some measurements, especially since RTL latency compensation and ADC seem to cause so much misery! - http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=352076

Amack
Now you are making a prediction about a hardware system you clearly do not understand?? Why do you think Avid is lying?? Have you used an HD/HDX to see the buffer size does not matter if you don't use Tdm plugins?

Second off the the input and output buffers on native systems are independent of each other, since PT11. I posted a link above from an Avid engineer who knows a bit more than you. It's also in the reference guide.

You are asking about posts where your information is wrong.....well here you go.

You went from being laughable to now just being an out right nuisance.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 6800k
Win 10
Old 06-22-2015, 12:30 PM

Guitardom, it would seem that he doesn't record, mix or even produce, and that he has used none of the systems related to pro tools, or so he has avoided answering those questions when Shan asked.

#BOYCOTTTUSPRODUCTS

just not Pro tools and compatible plugins...