Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 12-08-2007, 07:34 PM

Default Anyone else out there wish you could RIPPLE EDIT?

I keep fantasizing that it'll happen one day, and I'm kind of amazed it hasn't yet. But the ability to ripple edit, wherein (to cite but one example) if you drag a clip's out point to the left, making it shorter, every clip after the out point would shift backward in response to your drag, would be so freakin' valuable to me (and I'd think millions of other users) that I remain amazed it hasn't happened yet. It's one of those things that makes me wonder "Maybe there IS a way to ripple edit and I just haven't stumbled upon it yet!". And yes, this is completely different from SHUFFLE mode. As it is now, you have to keep toggling between SHUFFLE and SLIP mode, AND make a few timeline selections/deletions, to accomplish the same thing!

Is it me? Is this a function that most people don't have a use for? Are there any other folks who wish this would happen? Do I need to keep making submissions to the 'Feature Suggestions' email address?

Just curious.
E
Old 12-08-2007, 11:28 PM

Default Re: Anyone else out there wish you could RIPPLE EDIT?

Shuffle edit does exactly what you have described..???
Old 12-09-2007, 09:44 AM

Shuffle mode in PT works just like a "ripple edit". Slip mode is like a "roll edit". Maybe you are not dragging with the Trimmer in the right direction? To shuffle or "ripple" material later on the timeline, trim out the handle on the right side of the region you want to extend. To "ripple" material earlier on the timeline, trim in the handle on the same right side of the region with the Trimmer tool facing the SAME direction.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:43 AM

Yes, SHUFFLE mode ripple edits when you're TRIMMING a region. But if you want to move an entire region BACK in time, and have the regions after it follow suit, what then? You have to go to SLIP mode, SELECT ALL from the region being moved onward, and drag everything back, no? Then back to SHUFFLE mode and back and forth as necessary.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:52 AM

Quote:
But if you want to move an entire region BACK in time, and have the regions after it follow suit, what then?
In shuffle mode, select the empty area in front of the region(s) you want to move and delete it (to move stuff earlier in time), or use the duplicate command (or copy/paste) to move things later in time. Manipulating the blank spaces between regions in PT is just as useful as working with the regions themselves sometimes.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:31 PM

Yes, that is what I'm USED to having to do, in lieu of a simple command that just makes everything fall back or move ahead by the same amount of space the region was moved.

Speaking of moving regions forward, to do so and have everything ahead of it scoot forward, your only option is to select-all-forward and move everything in tandem, no?

Basically, I recently had to edit a book on tape using Sony's 'Vegas' program, which I'd never even HEARD of until recently. I soon realized why the folks who use it prefer it for editing. It's insanely quicker and more intuitive. You move a region, then you hit a single key and everything after it follows suit. No changing modes. No selecting everything and moving it. Lord knows how many times I only THOUGHT I had selected everything but really didn.t, and everything goes out of sync and you have to get it all back.

It also lets you freely slip audio WITHIN a region's boundaries, which I never knew how much it helped until it was possible. And yes, I know it can be done in PT, but only by currently-selected nudge increments, and only as fast as you can hit the +- keys. I'm talking click-and-drag ease.

Mind you, I'm never switching to this program, save for editing books, but man I'd love to be able to do it in PT.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Speaking of moving regions forward, to do so and have everything ahead of it scoot forward, your only option is to select-all-forward and move everything in tandem, no?
No, I explained this in my previous post. Highlight blank area before the regions (if you have some) and duplicate or copy/paste the blank space and everything after it will move in tandem. Selecting all and grab-moving isn't too time-consuming either though, just click anywhere in a track, hit command-A to select all and you're good to go.

Also, locking regions is a very helpful if you work in Shuffle mode a lot, it will keep you from messing up sections in your timeline if you shuffle edit something earlier in the project.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:15 PM

Nevermind. I guess you have to experience it in a program with a dedicated RIPPLE function to really appreciate what a drag the PT method is.

Having to switch back and forth between SLIP and SHUFFLE modes while also having to constantly SELECT ALL to move all regions (instead of simply moving one region and hitting a hitting a single button to adjust everything else) is what I'm getting at.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:50 PM

I get what you're saying, but maybe you're just not familiar with PTLE's keyboard shortcuts? There are keys for selecting between tools, selecting "all" etc. that make doing those types of edits pretty instantaneous once you know how to use them. I can move all regions on a track with only hitting one button on my keyboard too, so I'm not sure you've found anything more efficient there is what I'm getting at.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:20 PM

Cool, and I get what you're saying too. In fact, I'm boning up on my keyboard shortcuts as I type! Learned a buncha stuff already, so things will definitely be easier.

Thanks again for your input!