Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-01-2011, 07:19 AM

Default Re: Occasional headphone out problems with Mbox 3 Pro

Bump...

(this shall never vanish into past oblivion)
Old 10-01-2011, 01:50 PM

Returned my 3rd MBox Pro to my supplier due to problems with phantom power - there was none!!! And, the +48v button doesn't light up. When you push the phantom power button, the top LED on the 1st level meter lights up instead. Doh!
Old 10-02-2011, 08:53 AM

I am also having problems with my new MBox 3 pro and all outputs after installing update 9.0.5. Reinstalling update 9.0.5 seems to have at least temporarily fixed this. Looking for resolution on this as well.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 10-03-2011, 03:53 AM

Does the Mbox Pro have a hardware/unit serial number stamped somewhere? What's your number and when and where did you buy it?

Has there been driver updates for the Mbox Pro looking all the way back to its introduction?

I considered buying an Mbox Pro, but certainly changed my mind when I read this thread. I feel your pain, I really do. What is most concerning to me is the long time it has taken AVID so far, to try come up with a fix. That could indicate a hardware problem, which would be so painful for everybody, AVID included.

Is there any official statement from AVID about these Mbox Pro problems? If not, I would find it very discouraging considering this box launched almost a year ago.

If the problem is so widespread as this thread (and others) indicate, why have the boxes not been taken off the shelves around the world?

I am still open for the Mbox Pro, but I need to see progress to stay that way. It is such a shame for this product to be released this way. How could it happen?
Old 10-03-2011, 10:14 AM

I don't have the problems that many of you are having but I do have a problem with the unusual (I'm being kind) gain structure of the Mbox 3 pro. I have some work-arounds that are awkward but get the job done. The problems that I see are rather basic & inexcusable (like the dumb taper on the gain controls.).

What gets me a little angry is that I am getting emails about a series of blog post about one of the designers who is so proud of his work.

http://community.avid.com/blogs/avid...pid=AV-SM-MB-1

OK, so the designers made some mistakes, but I can't believe that the problems didn't show up in the most basic of field trials. That blog is just insulting.

Edit Room: Pro Tools 8LE 8.0.5, Windows 10, HP Z400 Xeon 6 core 12 GB DDR3, Eleven R, UAD 2 PCIe card

Both systems old & previously Avid qualified
Old 10-08-2011, 11:47 AM

@hjorte - I would'nt recommend it - if I was you...

On wednesday it's been a month since the last response from the AVID support guy claiming they are working on it and "can't give us more info - for 'various reasons'"

That excuse is getting weaker for every day that goes by...

Why do I keep complaining?

MBOX 3 PRO is a GREAT sounding audio interface, for a very good price.
It blows away RME and everyhing in that price-range.(And I know RME - I work with FF800 almost everyday. I hear the difference.)

BUT - the software or hardware or whatever is the problem that everybody experiences, renders this as one useless piece of crap..

And I'm thinking - AVID has made audio interfaces for years, for high end pro users. First you might wonder - why could this ever happen?
Second - well it happended. Why not just fix it right away. Would be piece of cake, considering all the years of experience - really!
As Pro Tools no longer need AVID audio hardware to run, that just puts even more pressure on AVID - to stand competition.
Dear AVID - as you have chosen to wait. Why not just send new working devices out to all resellers and take all the dysfunctional devices back, and face the fact that you lost some $$$. This will save your reputation as a Pro company in the industry - that you actually 'listen' to your customers.
And let this story be a lesson for future marketing strategies...

Well I won't be complaining forever. I might skip over to RME - even though it's not the same high end quality. (though it is very close) but it works!
Old 10-18-2011, 06:10 AM

Bump
Old 10-22-2011, 08:57 PM

Just wanted to chime in here - even though this thread seems like it's been kinda beaten to death...

I had the same problem right out of the box and then a couple inputs just stopped working so I sent it back to Sweetwater and got a new one. The new one has worked *ok* and I'd say I have the described headphone issue about once a month.

But this is my question: has anyone experienced unacceptable levels of line noise in powered monitors? When I turn my monitors (Focal CMS 50's) on they are perfectly silent but then once I turn on the mbox pro there's VERY significant hiss coming out of the speakers. All monitors have some hiss like this if you stick your ear close enough, but this is excessive. And yes, I'm using balanced cables and have done all sorts of rearranging of the powere supplies to make it go away. Does anyone experience this?? Has this been discussed elsewhere??

Anyway, I would love to hear some reply for Avid like you guys as well (even if the reply is, "sorry. we messed up - how about half off our new, awesome, totally working interface" assuming something like that comes out some day.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:54 PM

I am thinking this problem cannot be solved via software and that a unit recall-to-the-factory needs to be done - but - Avid just cannot take that kind of financial hit right now.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
We're still working on this and, for various reasons, I can't give anything more than that info.
Hi DTS, any news on this?