Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 04-15-2011, 03:59 AM

Default Stereo dithered mixer with summing mixer?

Hello,

I use PT HD with a summing mixer. Will I get any benefits using the stereo dithered mixer instead of the non dithered? What do you guys mixing otb recommend? Thanks for helping out!
Old 04-15-2011, 07:55 AM

Default Re: Stereo dithered mixer with summing mixer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahamnesik View Post
Hello,

I use PT HD with a summing mixer. Will I get any benefits using the stereo dithered mixer instead of the non dithered? What do you guys mixing otb recommend? Thanks for helping out!
If every track is output at unity to it's own physical output then no - but if any tracks are combined within PT then yes, you should be using the dithered mixer.

best,
rich

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 04-15-2011, 01:04 PM

Thank you. I'm using a 16 channels summing mixer, every track is output but not at unity level. The most important tracks like drums elements, vocals, bass and so on have their own output channels. Also, I'm using a few auxes here and there like every fx aux share the same output (reverbs, delay, room mic etc). So you confirm that the dithered mixer will help?
Old 04-16-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahamnesik View Post
Thank you. I'm using a 16 channels summing mixer, every track is output but not at unity level. The most important tracks like drums elements, vocals, bass and so on have their own output channels. Also, I'm using a few auxes here and there like every fx aux share the same output (reverbs, delay, room mic etc). So you confirm that the dithered mixer will help?
You should be using it. I guess the real questions is why would you *not* use it? The only instance I can think of is if you need absolute bit accuracy - for instance if you're measuring the code accuracy of some specific path, and the dither would interfere with the LSB measurements - otherwise use the dithered mixer.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 04-16-2011, 10:13 AM

Got you. I was just wondering if the extra dsp usage on my hd rig would be worth it. But I'll be using it anyway and try it out by myself. Just wanted to grasp the technical side of things