Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2006, 05:52 AM

Default Delay Compensation Weirdness

During two sessions this week, Pro Tools has induced a noticable delay into record or input enabled tracks. It seems to be tied directly to ADC. Both days in the afternoon I had some mixing fixes, in which the sessions had ADC turned on. In the evening, I created a new session and made sure that ADC was turned off for tracking. Arm a track for recording a vocal and the artist complains about a weird delay. ADC is turned off, no plugins on the track, or in the entire session for that matter. Doing a shutdown and restart corrects the problem.

Later in the evening while doing a rough mix, I turned on ADC to correct for a fairly plugin-intensive vocal channel. The producer asked to do a quick pick up. Thinking that the track should go into low latency mode while recording, I armed it and while checking levels, we noticed the delay was back. I turned off ADC, bypassed the plugins, and the delay was still there. After saving the session, I shutdown and restarted, opened the same saved session, and the problem was gone.

Is Pro Tools not fully shutting down the delay compensation engine? Is it holding on to some residual delay even though Pro Tools is telling me it's off?? Has anyone else experienced this???

PT 7.1cs2
PTHD3 Accel
(2) input expanded 192 I/O's, SYNC I/O
Mac OS 10.4.3
Pro Control, Fader Pack, Edit Pack

@FoxMtnStudio
Old 01-13-2006, 11:14 AM

Default Re: Delay Compensation Weirdness

Jip, same story for me. VERY irritating...

I'm not running any cs updates of PT7 yet. I'm clocking from apogee rosetta (AES/EBU). Haven't tried with internal clock to see if it makes a difference - I know stranger things have caused software bugs to show up...

Sorry I can't help yet.

G5 2.7
3.5 GB RAM
HD Accel 2
96 IO
South Africa
Old 01-13-2006, 03:36 PM

same thing happens to me... only way to solve it is to turn on ADC while tracking and choose "Automatically adjust for delay after record pass" from the IO setup window. For some reason that fixed it for me.

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 02-03-2006, 03:00 AM

I'm reviving this thread because I'm dealing with this now on 7.1cs3.

I'm having to toggle delay compensation on and off, on sessions, as I knock up rough mixes or overdub new tracks.

I've tried both toggling delay compensation from the options menu, and hard toggling from the Playback Engine and I'm still getting random weirdness as follows -

Recording 3 tracks of horns (using punch mode) - one of the tracks is recording late. Monitoring while recording is fine, but on playback it is playing late because the waveform is placed late. The start of each region is lined up correctly, but there is a short period of silence on that one track at the start. These tracks are all coming in via the same interface on adjacent channels. Turning delay comp on/off or changing inputs for the track in question does nothing, I have to save quit and re-open PT and the session - then it's all cool.

I turned off delay comp while tracking some strings. I end up with several sets of stereo tracks bussed to an aux. Turn delay comp back on to sit them in the mix - these tracks now play back late. On checking them I see that they have all been recorded late, but were previously all playing back correctly. WTF???

It seems that PT is getting confused and not completely turning on and off delay comp. The only way I can currently be sure everything is working properly here is to toggle delay comp and then save quit PT. Re-opening PT and the session I'm working on again with delay comp now at the right setting I need seems to work fine.

Digi - any thoughts on this? Anyone else seeing this?
Old 02-03-2006, 03:32 AM

have u tried setteing ADC in the playback engine to : none - instead of just disabling from the drop down menu?

Also u could check if you have some delay set in the / IO Menu/ H/W Insert delay..... if so - set 'em all 2 default

At Last - make sure that the track u r recording to dont have any plugs instantiated - Master out as well -as they will cause a delay when e.g. recording a vocal.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:03 AM

[QUOTE]
have u tried setteing ADC in the playback engine to : none - instead of just disabling from the drop down menu?[QUOTE]

Yes - problem still exists

[QUOTE]
Also u could check if you have some delay set in the / IO Menu/ H/W Insert delay..... if so - set 'em all 2 default[QUOTE]

Nope - and as I said, closing down PT and reopening the session sorts it all out

Quote:
At Last - make sure that the track u r recording to dont have any plugs instantiated - Master out as well -as they will cause a delay when e.g. recording a vocal.
I'm aware of this - however one of my problems was with a single track (within a multi track take) being recorded out of time. It was monitoring fine - but the audio was placed at the wrong point, and so on subsequent playback was later than the other recorded tracks.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:49 AM
Avid

We've not seen this behavior in house.

Have you tried trashing preference files yet? I'm curious if that sorts it out or not.