Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2016, 07:26 AM

Default Are you using a 6th generation Intel processor?

I need a new rig.

Are you using a Skylake processor? How is it working out for you with Pro Tools 12?

I want to make sure there are no problems with Interrupt To Process Latency on the new H170 chipsets, because that is killing me right now with my 3rd gen processor and Z77 chipset.

Thank you so much!
Pro Tools Studio
www.studioaix.fr

Last edited by chrismeraz; 03-11-2016 at 07:07 AM.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:44 AM

Default Re: The newest 6th generation Intel processors

CPU´s have not improved much since 1st gen.
i still have i7 970 "x5975" X58 boards overclocked to 3.6Ghz.
& AMD Opteron 6276 @ 2.6Ghz.

just see Cinebench R15 Single CPU tests...
most intel CPU´s are around +/-150pts.
few over 200.

more cores = less powerfull single CPU must be.
too much power hungry...
most boards/cpus are designed to be around 150Watts or less per CPU, and 81°C or less.

if low latency needed "64buffer", closer to 5GHz and PCI/pcie soundcard required., some claim to work at 64buffer with HD N.
Fast Bounce also depends on CPU if plugin are not designed to spread load across all cores.
Less physical cores = faster the overclock can be...

AMD 32-cores vs. intel 12-threads...
i have both...
i like both...

Last edited by JuanPC; 03-10-2016 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanPC View Post
CPU´s have not improved much since 1st gen.
i still have i7 970 "x5975" X58 boards overclocked to 3.6Ghz.
& AMD Opteron 6276 @ 2.6Ghz.

just see Cinebench R15 Single CPU tests...
most intel CPU´s are around +/-150pts.
few over 200.

more cores = less powerfull single CPU must be.
too much power hungry...
most boards/cpus are designed to be around 150Watts or less, per CPU. or 81°C or less.

if low latency needed "64buffer", closer to 5GHz and PCI/pcie soundcard required., some claim to work at 64buffer with HD N.
Fast Bounce also depends on CPU if plugin are not designed to spread load across all cores.
Less physical cores = faster the overclock can be...

AMD 32-cores vs. intel 12-threads...
i have both...
i like both...
I know you think you are being helpful, but you continue to post false information, and it is getting ridiculous!!!

Each generation of processor gets a minimum 3-5% boost in horsepower.

The amount of L2-L3 cache is also growing. In simplistic terms, it is ram built on to the CPU that contains the most important CPU instruction sets. WAY faster than ram and a large part why newer CPU systems will feel "smoother" than older generations.

Again, you dont need a "near 5Ghz" processor to run at a 64HW Buffer! Stop saying this, its an outright lie!

Furthermore, a PCIe based system is also not needed!!! We were running at a 64HW Buffer over 10 years ago on the 002. I have an Eleven Rack (USB) that I also do that on.

I build new 8 core systems that are significantly more powerful than 2008-2010 12 core Mac Pro's in Pro Tools. There are many variables that lead to this happening. It is not as simple as saying "core speed" or any other single improvement.

You are the only person mentioning Cinebench here. Comparisons are typically made with Geekbench. If you want direct Pro Tools comparisons, the Dverb test is what is used.

You are still running a first gen i7. You really need to work on newer systems before making generalizations about them.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 03-20-2016, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
You are the only person mentioning Cinebench here. Comparisons are typically made with Geekbench. If you want direct Pro Tools comparisons, the Dverb test is what is used.

You are still running a first gen i7. You really need to work on newer systems before making generalizations about them.
Can you tell me how to set up and run the "Dverb test"?
Old 03-20-2016, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyv View Post
Can you tell me how to set up and run the "Dverb test"?
Pretty sure I read an incredibly detailed explanation of the Dverb test setup on the "i7 builds" thread (the link is in user mykhal_c's signature... just scroll up a few comments).

Check it out. First post, or second, but it's there for sure.

Gigabyte H97M-D3H, Intel i5-4590 @ 3.3GHz, Intel H97 chipset, 24GB Crucial Ballistix 1600 DDR3, Win 10, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD, WD Black 1TB HDD (x2), TP-Link N900 PCIe, EVGA 500w PSU

Dell Studio XPS 8100, Intel i7-870 @ 2.93GHz, Intel 5 Series/3400 Series chipset PCIe, ATI Radeon, Win 7 (64-bit) Home Premium, Realtek HD, THX TruStudio, Chicony 350w PSU
Old 03-11-2016, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanPC View Post
I run at 32 buffer most of the time...

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 03-11-2016, 01:02 AM

Chris,

If it isn't too much trouble, can you share what you know about DPC latency? Have you ever checked it on your computer, and could you share a screen shot? I have very high DPC latency, I can't get smooth playback even from WMP :-(

The LatencyMon utility, and all the forums, tell me to disable or update any drivers with an execution time over 1ms. I don't have any drivers or processes over 0.1ms, but my DPC latency is still through the roof. What can I do?

It's a brand new installation of Win 7 x64, ProTools 12.4, all the usual PC Optimizations, 8GB RAM, and two SSD's.
Old 03-11-2016, 01:40 AM

Sounds very odd that you can't even get smooth playback in WMP, let alone Pro Tools. What exact CPU and motherboard do you have? Have you tried (even if you can't generally work with them disabled) disabling all Ethernet and Wi-Fi devices? What graphics card do you have? Are the drivers up to date? You may have to disable almost everything, see if that improves things, then start re-enabling and see if it's just one device that's provoking the issue, time consuming but could be illuminating.

Good luck,
Pete
Old 03-11-2016, 01:56 AM

Yes Pete, thank you, I've tried disabling all of that. Disabling the WiFi card definitely ameliorated the situation, but it isn't completely fixed. I've tried everything else you suggest. All my drivers are up to date, BIOS too. I have a good AMD fanless graphics card (maybe I should try using internal graphics, just because).

It's definitely not one single component or piece of software causing the problem, or I would have found it by now. Remember in the movie Apollo 13 when Ken Mattingly was working non-stop in the simulator trying to come up with a start-up procedure that would work without draining the main bus of current? I think it's going to be like that - I just have to try a million combinations until I find the right one.

I'm also working with limited resources, perhaps - a 3rd gen i3-3250 processor, a GA-Z77-DS3H v1.1 mobo. I know Avid says i5 minimum blah blah blah but that is such a vague spec - my 3rd gen i3 is certainly better than a 1st gen i5, and I'm not using very many tracks or plug-ins on my projects, so it should be good. Anyway, I should at least be able to listen to WMP!! Processing power is usually at about 2%, so I know I don't need a faster CPU, but my Interrupt To Process latency is through the roof (I'm talking 20 to 80 ms between a request and an execution, that is ridiculous).
Pro Tools Studio
www.studioaix.fr
Old 03-11-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismeraz View Post
Chris,

If it isn't too much trouble, can you share what you know about DPC latency? Have you ever checked it on your computer, and could you share a screen shot? I have very high DPC latency, I can't get smooth playback even from WMP :-(

The LatencyMon utility, and all the forums, tell me to disable or update any drivers with an execution time over 1ms. I don't have any drivers or processes over 0.1ms, but my DPC latency is still through the roof. What can I do?

It's a brand new installation of Win 7 x64, ProTools 12.4, all the usual PC Optimizations, 8GB RAM, and two SSD's.
I honestly don't know much about troubleshooting DPC latency. I have my computer overclocked using this guide:
3 Step Guide To Overclock Your Core i3, i5, or i7 - Updated!

and I've done all the Windows 7 Optimizations. I use a SIIG firewire card for my interfaces and have the minimal amount of background programs and services running. I've had ASIO errors in Pro Tools until I set the clocking between the interfaces using Wordclock. I think the key for me is in keeping the computer well ventilated so that the processor can run overclocked without getting too hot. The times that I've had to raise the audio buffer, besides mixing large sessions with lots of plugins, have been when the processor gets too hot due to a cooling fan dying or not running to full capacity.

I ran LatencyMon and attached a couple of screenshots FWIW.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (46.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (61.9 KB, 0 views)

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM