Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2008, 07:45 AM

Default Just about at my wits end.....

Hi guys,
Having an awful time here, just wondering..... hoping really that someone MIGHT have had the same experience as me..
I'm getting crashes and random strange things happen when running my 001 in Cubase or PTLE 6.4 in WIN XP.

First I thought it might have been my system (It's bra new)
So I uninstalled everything, and ran it on a clean install checking HDDs and memory etc with diagnostics,
Everything seemed fine with XP SP2,
So I installed PTLE and Cubase SX3 and my 001, saw on here that you needed a few tweaks etc so I downloaded the CS updates PACE etc, etc.
Everything was OK,
Then all of a sudden I started getting random crashes when trying to use WAVES plugins,
Simple... uninstall the WAVES bundle,
Seemed fine ...

But NOW, having issues getting into PTLE in the first place after it running fairly cr*ppy for a while, was just quitting straight away.
This then started happening with Cubase,
Id get about 20 tracks into a project with virtual instruments and plugs etc and i'd close the session or Cubase and then when i'd try to re-open it, it just crashes, no error screen or anything, just closes or quits out before finishing the load..

I've tried saving the projects (before the crashing starts) under different names/folders etc, but still happens!!
(Note I have been reproducing the error consistently because I'm actually trying to do my normal work not just running sessions to try and crash it)

So I thought, the only thing that's changed (other than my PC) since my last stable setup (Same version of PT and Cubase solid as a rock for AGES) is XP SP2,
So I rolled back XP to no service packs!
Didn't install PT,
Same issue now, Cubase just shuts down after a while of perfect normal use. no errors NOTHING!
The only thing I can think to do is setup my old system again and go back to using it....
Crazy............

Any thoughts?
Sorry if it's a bit vague but I really have tried a lot of troubleshooting so far.

One other thing i've noticed is that sometimes my mouse hangs when I first boot up for like 5 seconds, then you can move it again.. and with my fresh install with no service packs sometimes the mouse doesn't get recognised on bootup and I have to reboot.

SYSTEM:
AMD XP6000 Dual core
ASUS motherboard
1 SATA and one PATA HDDs , Seagate,
Running graphics from motherboard (could be bad?... can't see how...)
4 GIG ram / running 3 in XP.
DIGI 001 with all the tweaks.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:19 AM

Default Re: Just about at my wits end.....

I can't claim to have all the answers, but from personal experience, it's NOT a SP-related issue. Mine ran fine with 2 and 3. The integrated graphics are in fact a big problem. Buy a dedicated video card and disable the on-board graphics in your BIOS. That's at least a good first step.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:42 AM

Yes, onboard graphics is a problem(don't know why but way too many reports support this). Also, you MUST be running cs9 for 6.4 to work right on SP2. Those are the first 2 things to work on. As for a video card, you don't need to spend much here. I ran a pair of 22" LCD's from a $37 MSI nVidia 7300LE card that cost all of $37(fanless too so it was quiet). Many will also recommend ATI cards which will also work fine(but the driver install can be tricky so follow instructions to the letter).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-29-2008, 01:20 PM

As albee said, for XP SP2 or XP SP3 you need 6.4 cs9 along with 6.4 cs6 for the DigiRack plug-ins AND the latest PACE driver. You should also have a video card, on-board graphics are probematical with Pro Tools. And be sure that any of your third party plug-ins, like Waves, are up-to-date for 6.4. Not the latest versions - the latest Waves are for 7x - but the latest version that runs on 6.4. You are also using a Dual Core CPU. 6x does not take advantage of dual cores, only 7x and above will. You may have to disable one core when using Pro Tools. You may also need the Dual Core Hot Fix from Microsoft and AMD. XP SP3 has the Microsoft Hot Fix as part of it, but I wouldn't go to SP3 until you get Pro Tools working properly.

You may also want to take a look at the General Troubleshooting Thread in the Stickies above and, after trying the suggestions there, post a Sandra or PC Wizard report.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 11-29-2008, 06:40 PM

Thanks guys for taking the time to respond..

I've got the latest CS updates and the plugs updates from the last 001 updates section.
But I've also tried just running the PC without PT and just Cubase, still problems there..

I will try the graphics card option,
Going to the shop now to get a cheap one.