Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 09-24-2020, 11:52 AM

Default Re: Bounce to Quicktime alternative workflow

Are the following steps the most efficient way of replacing bounce to quicktime in Catalina when a short clip is needed for approval for example?

- Select audio to bounce > bounce to disk

- Open video file in QT - edit > trim > trim video (matching timecode information from Pro Tools session i.e start/stop of clip) > file > save

- open shutter encoder and drop in both saved video clip and the bounced audio files > choose function ‘replace audio’ > start function
Old 09-25-2020, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
- Open video file in QT - edit > trim > trim video (matching timecode information from Pro Tools session i.e start/stop of clip) > file > save
How would you do this to any degree of frame accuracy in QT?

Also, you'd have to strip out the audio before you put it in Shutter Encoder.

I don't have Catalina yet, but I do use MXF (to DNxHD). I now bounce to quicktime with this (which makes it a DNxHD, then use something like Edit Ready or similar to convert to H264 to share with client.

Do we lose the Bounce to Quicktime function in Catalina?
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 09-25-2020, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minister View Post
How would you do this to any degree of frame accuracy in QT?

Also, you'd have to strip out the audio before you put it in Shutter Encoder.

I don't have Catalina yet, but I do use MXF (to DNxHD). I now bounce to quicktime with this (which makes it a DNxHD, then use something like Edit Ready or similar to convert to H264 to share with client.

Do we lose the Bounce to Quicktime function in Catalina?
Yes no bounce to QT in Catalina.

QT on Catalina allows for micro adjustments using the trim tool as well as remove audio.

If this is not the best/quickest way to achieve a workaround then I'd appreciate if others could detail their workflow.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
Are the following steps the most efficient way of replacing bounce to quicktime in Catalina when a short clip is needed for approval for example?

- Select audio to bounce > bounce to disk

- open shutter encoder and drop in both saved video clip and the bounced audio files > choose function ‘replace audio’ > start function
I use Shutter Encoder to to cut QuickTimes to smaller scenes for specific reviews. And if your quicktime has a timecode track (all of mine from AVID MC do) then you can just enter the timecodes, it works quite well. I first create this edit video file and then import it to PT and bounce audio to its exact length to be double sure of the video edit length.

Ayush
Old 09-25-2020, 12:42 PM

I've been using video slave to handle video duties in Catalina. Sync feels the most solid. I use Aja Kona lhi, gen10 and a sync HD.

When I need to send a review qt, I bounce a mix and marry it to video in video slave. The export is really fast, and I can add tc burn or watermark.
Old 09-29-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayush Ahuja View Post
I use Shutter Encoder to to cut QuickTimes to smaller scenes for specific reviews. And if your quicktime has a timecode track (all of mine from AVID MC do) then you can just enter the timecodes, it works quite well. I first create this edit video file and then import it to PT and bounce audio to its exact length to be double sure of the video edit length.

Ayush
Ok! This took me a bit to figure out, but I figured out how to do this, or, at least one way.

For this example I used a trailer as it is shorter than a feature to make my test easier/simpler. I exported a new bounce of 30 seconds out of PT. (BTW, In PT, I have the MXF [DNxHD] onboard made with Shutter Encoder from the original delivery [in this case, a ProRes LT, but often now I get H264]) I went into Shutter Encoder and chose "Cut without re-encoding" (is this what others do?). Then it pulled up a preview window. This preview window is super finicky (as I have found Shutter Encoder to be, but, it could be my underlying system...I often find Shuttter Encoder freezes, doesn't respond to commands, is slow to respond etc.). I say finicky because I know the TC locations of my In/Out points, but typing them into the boxes proved to be a bit like throwing darts in a wind storm. Sometimes I could get the cursor in the box and type in what I wanted, and sometimes it would "kick me out". or, I would get the IN set, and in order to be able to type in the OUT, I had to go grab the red cursor thingy (to use the technical term) and move it from the end a bit forward, then I could type in the OUT TC boxes. Or, click on the green waveform. Anyway... After you get this set, you hit "Start Function". It exports a video marked with the suffix "_Cut". Then, clear the SE bin. Then load in the "_CUT" video and your bounce file. Select both (maybe you don't have to?), and chose the function, "Replace audio". It then export a new video with the "_CUT" appended by the name of your bounce file, which in my case was "_MIX". That worked for me.

Is this how others do it?

And, do others find SE occasionally flakey?

Thanks.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 09-29-2020, 09:39 PM

Hi Tom,

This is exactly how I use it. SE has been buggy on this function and I've had to find a few workarounds with every update though it hasn't been flakey or frozen on me at all.

I have just double checked this function on shutter encoder 14.1 on OSX 10.15.6 and it seems to be broken when using non rounded timecodes (so make sure your in and out timecodes have 00 frames at the end)

Here are my steps (which is pretty much how you seem to do it)

1) Import File
2) Select Process - Cut without encoding
3) Select 'change input and output point' (window opens)
4) SE autoplays the file in the new window so you need to hit the pause button
5) Disable Frame by frame audio (just in case of overload)
6) Enable 'Display video timecode'
7) Type in timecode for in and out (SE is buggy sometimes and displays a wrong picture frame if you have BITC, but trust the TC number)
8) Hit start function and check your file.

I always export audio to this cut file length due to the aforementioned bugs as in some versions the length of the cut was slightly off.

Tested with ProRes, DNxHD and MP4.

Best,

Ayush