Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 10-17-2019, 12:11 PM

Default Rookie Needs Help!

I get this section is not full of amateurs, so be kind by not making too much fun of me. Some is ok though, as I likely deserve it.

I am going to do a training video series that will be sold to Hotels when complete.

I want to be able to Sync a combination of DSLR Cameras, GoPro's, Logic Pro/Pro Tools all while recording live.

Syncing Cameras seems fairly easy, with something like this:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._timecode.html

However, I'm not sure how to Sync my MacBook Pro and audio device (Apollo Twin MKII) to the cameras.

I know how to do it on my Protools Ultimate Rig that's in my studio, but its not practical to use that system to record the audio for the training video's.

I know I can do the whole "Clap" thing and use the peak of the waveform to sync everything, and I could still use the existing camera mic's to align the external audio with the video. I'm just an anal type person, who does over analyze everything to death, so I've I'm going to do something, I have to do it right.

My plan is by buy a UA Apollo MKII (No Wordclock as far as I know), well unless the announce something better in a few days........ I want to be able to use it's Unison Mic Preamps as well as Compressor and EQ on the way in. Plus, I can use it in my recording studio to run UA plugins down the road.

I have a plethora of Boutique Mic Preamps, and don't want to have to be constantly relocating them, plus, it's probably way overkill using those for spoken word. I also don't want to have to rely on internal Mic Preamps on the cameras and since there can be up to two people with Lapel Mics on at a given time, so I want to keep those audio sources separate and consistent.

I hope I have painted a picture of what I'm trying to do, and I hope someone can help me.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:33 PM

Default Re: Rookie Needs Help!

Looks like I could have just answered my own question. Is this what makes the most sense?

https://www.redgiant.com/products/pl...oaArCyEALw_wcB
Old 10-18-2019, 06:08 AM

Pluraleyes doesn't work in Pro Tools.
I wish it did, but its currently only for video editing software.

You can use it to sync in premiere pro or FCP and export an AAF to PT.
Old 10-22-2019, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoolsLover View Post
I get this section is not full of amateurs, so be kind by not making too much fun of me. Some is ok though, as I likely deserve it.

I am going to do a training video series that will be sold to Hotels when complete.

I want to be able to Sync a combination of DSLR Cameras, GoPro's, Logic Pro/Pro Tools all while recording live.

Syncing Cameras seems fairly easy, with something like this:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._timecode.html

However, I'm not sure how to Sync my MacBook Pro and audio device (Apollo Twin MKII) to the cameras.

I know how to do it on my Protools Ultimate Rig that's in my studio, but its not practical to use that system to record the audio for the training video's.

I know I can do the whole "Clap" thing and use the peak of the waveform to sync everything, and I could still use the existing camera mic's to align the external audio with the video. I'm just an anal type person, who does over analyze everything to death, so I've I'm going to do something, I have to do it right.

My plan is by buy a UA Apollo MKII (No Wordclock as far as I know), well unless the announce something better in a few days........ I want to be able to use it's Unison Mic Preamps as well as Compressor and EQ on the way in. Plus, I can use it in my recording studio to run UA plugins down the road.

I have a plethora of Boutique Mic Preamps, and don't want to have to be constantly relocating them, plus, it's probably way overkill using those for spoken word. I also don't want to have to rely on internal Mic Preamps on the cameras and since there can be up to two people with Lapel Mics on at a given time, so I want to keep those audio sources separate and consistent.

I hope I have painted a picture of what I'm trying to do, and I hope someone can help me.
I'd use a location recorder (Sound Devices, Deva etc.) instead for this kind of job. They all have TC generators on board and write proper meta-data don't need mains power, have proper limiters on board.

F.

Last edited by Frank Kruse; 10-22-2019 at 05:04 AM.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
Pluraleyes doesn't work in Pro Tools.
I wish it did, but its currently only for video editing software.

You can use it to sync in premiere pro or FCP and export an AAF to PT.
Media Composer will now sync clips by analysing audio, so maybe worth posting a feature request for protools?

I’m a video editor and even when timecode ‘matches’ I always check it to a sync clap or a plosive because timecode drifts.

Similarly if using audio to sync you’ll find that DSLR pictures are often delayed compared to their audio. (No problem if you’re not using the pictures though)