Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2011, 09:13 AM

Default Re: 1- 412 vs. 2-412's same wattage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
That answers Nick pretty well. Lost my best friend and a great drummer. Almost everyone I know either got their 5hit together or died. Good point on the pretty boys and on people overplaying. I like chops as much as the next guy but as much as I love shredding and metal I was really glad to see flannel make a comeback.

A forum member I know (who will remain nameless) cracked me up when he said "I never knew how long the black out's would last so I would go to the gig packed for rehab"
I think i remember seeing that post... or something along the lines of it. Dont remember who posted it.

But the fact that i had to ask why someone would sum up the 80s with rehab tells you how clueless I am Gotta love being born in the 90s.

Nick
OCZ Agility 64 GB SSD
Hitachi 1TB 32 MB HDD
WD Caviar Black 500GB
Saphhire HD 5850
3 x 20" monitors

Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Fender Super Champ XD
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 Silver Edition W/ Silver Jubilee Cabinet
Old 06-10-2011, 11:55 AM

Three 100 watt HIWATT half stacks count for anything in this horse race:)

I actually like the sound of a straight front cab being driven hard enough to vibrate it a little. I would have 4 cabs if I could ever find a fourth 4-12 HIWATT bass cab with loaded with Fane's. I have a 3 cabs, One with seventies 25watt Fanes, One with early eighties with 75watt Fane's and the other has the optional 80 watt Celestions. I do think the Fane's sound a bit better than the Celestions.

Chris and the 11R team could do worse than to model a few cabs with Fane's.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 06-10-2011, 06:33 PM

many people will hate on me but...i like Celestion G12T-75's. i used them for so many years (since 1986) that i fell in love with them. i still have 4-12's from 1986 and they are well broken in and warm sounding. they kind sound like a V30 with more bass and less midrange honk.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singtall View Post
many people will hate on me but...i like Celestion G12T-75's. i used them for so many years (since 1986) that i fell in love with them. i still have 4-12's from 1986 and they are well broken in and warm sounding. they kind sound like a V30 with more bass and less midrange honk.
Thats what I had in a 1984 JCM 800 half stack. Great speaker in the right hands. Warm, Articulate. Others find them harsh. Can't remember if Zack likes the 75 or 65 watt G12's. Never tried that cab with any other head. With a 50 Watt JCM800 it was great match. I miss that amp. My Hilight era HIWATT LEAD 100's seem to capture a lot of that JCM800 aggression.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 06-10-2011, 07:23 PM

I think zakk uses eminence
200 watt'ers
Sent from my EVO 4g using Tapatalk...
Zalman 9900 LED
Readeon HD 4650
6 tb storage
WIN 7 x64 Ult
PT9
002 Console, 11R, Profire 2626, Jamlab
MPT2(wtf?)
HP DV7-3188cl
i5
320g 7200rpm hd X2
Siig xpress 1394
6 gig ram
(disabled g105 and acpi
Old 06-10-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singtall View Post
now the bad side: if you didn't look like a girl and play like Yngwie... you pretty much sucked. if you didn't have a ton of gear, you were just a wanna be. worse yet, if everyone in your band wasn't pretty and couldn't sing, you didn't make it either. by the end of the "metal" scene it was really about who you knew and how much money you had backing you. thank Nirvana for giving the music industry a much needed enema.
Well, the nineties was the worst time in music for me, in fact, it became the no-music years for me. Before Nirvana came along I was quite happy being wrapped up in my hair metal/hard rock world just about every week I could go and buy a new album and could listen to it for hours try and play along with it and generally having a great time. Listening to that type of music then took me to the early proto-metal bands Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple et el and then into thrash metal, Anthrax, Metallica, then to blues and even some Jazz.

Then Nirvana came along, "...Teen Spirit" was a great song, I thought this could be the start of something big. it was really rocking and bought the album thinking it would be more of the same, but, no, the rest of the album completely depressed me and wanted nothing to do with it, I needed lithium to listen to "Lithium", I wanted fun uptempo rock. Then the whole hair-metal scene imploded and died, and so there was nothing that I liked after that during that decade I eventually gave up playing guitar, and stopped listening to music altogether!

So, when I think of the 90's ... in all honesty, I distract myself and think of the mid to late 80's, when I enjoyed music.

Schecter Hellraiser 7 Diamond - Ibanez RG7620
Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Old 06-10-2011, 09:44 PM

After reading all of this, I am just going to give my 2 cents, as I can't structure a response otherwise,
I have a '90 Marshall JCM 900 with a slant 4/12. It's got GT75 celestions in it. With that head and that cab compared to the 4/12 at the studio I practice from time to time with vintage 30's, totally different sound. I also know that out of the 3 Cabs I use regularly that have GT 75's (although only one is mine) they all have different throws that can make "loudness" perceived different. My top left speaker sounds best and throw slight right. So depending where I stand it makes a difference.

I also run a Mesa rectoverb combo through the cab. It's 50 watts (marshalls 100) and it's easily as loud. Ask my bandmates. lol

Long story short, from my understanding, amplifier wattage output is somewhat relative. Not to mention RMS wattage being just that. Not peak. When I run cabs, it's absolutely louder. With speakers and tube amps I would be willing to bet that it's not so defined that each cab takes an exact portion of the total wattage. So two cabs at 100 watts will be pushing a hell of a lot more air, even if it's only splitting the wattage.