Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2009, 07:13 PM

Default Cueing ProTools tracks.

Is there a way to solo or cue tracks in ProTools while recording on a Venue?

I was recording a live show on ProTools while another engineer was mixing live. I wanted to listen to the tracks in while recording.

Can I use another Digi hardware product to listen to the tracks?

Joel
Old 10-25-2009, 02:33 AM

Default Re: Cueing ProTools tracks.

Just buy any Digi interface such as a 192/96 etc amd monitor through this. You might have to add another accel card depending on how many tracks you are recording.

Roland
Old 10-25-2009, 01:57 PM

Just my opinion but I wouldn't "touch" the pro tools computer when it is recording. It would be difficult to "listen" to the output unless you're somewhere remote anyway...
Old 10-26-2009, 03:44 AM

Can you not monitor through the HDx interface? i have not tried this, but lets say you setup your monitor bus in PTHD to be HDx return 1+2, then assign this to an FX return on the venue, make sure its not routed to the PA, then you can have the solo buss of PT return through the desk meaning you can solo it easily. if you wanted to be really cool, you could probably route it out and in through the 2T AES input and then make it assign directly to the monitor buss meaning that whenever you solo something in PT it goes straight into your headphones...
Old 10-27-2009, 07:09 AM

Thats the way I do it Chris. I have a channel setup on my console to return from Pro Tools (not assigned to the PA). I use one of the HDx assignable pairs, and create a bus in Pro Tools on all the channels to output to that pair of HDx at unity gain. This way I can still do the "virtual soundcheck without" reassigning the outputs for each channel.
Make sense?
Another way to do this is to always print a 'reference' of the Mains mix to pro tools, and assign the output of these to another assignable HDx pair that isn't being used. I have this coming back into the Venue as PT Mains mix. This way only gives you the ability to solo your main mix in Pro Tools, but it is a good way to quickly reference what all you are capturing in Pro Tools to verify its all there. Its also a quick way to playback your tracks for the band during rehearsal WITHOUT having to do the momentary reboot for "Virtual Soundcheck".