Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)

Old 07-28-2020, 10:50 PM

Default Re: Mbox family driver support for Mac OS Catalina

There is a good chance there will never be a Mbox 3 Pro driver for Catalina. Its end of support was March 1st 2020 so nobody knows..

In theory the should release the driver (even late) because PT was supported on Catalina since 2019.12 but in practice they have not released it and now the boxes are already out of support.
Old 07-29-2020, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clgood View Post
Did Avid really just brick my Mbox 3 when I updated to Catalina?

That's the definition of crappy customer support. Now I have to go buy a whole new audio interface just because Avid is too forking lazy to write a new driver?

Say it ain't so.
More that Apple bricked it, but I agree that devices need to be updated longer then they are.

One advantage to Windows - I'm still using an old M-Audio ProFire 2626 with Windows 8 drivers from 2013 on the latest Win 10.

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 12-01-2020, 02:31 PM

Has anybody been successful using the Mojave Mbox 3pro driver to work with a fresh install of Catalina?
Old 01-12-2021, 06:07 AM

I came across this thread as I recently resurrected my old MBox 2 and I am running Catalina.

Obviously this is way end of life for this very old (but perfectly good) piece of hardware.

Long story short, this driver (https://www.usb-audio.com/) has me up and running on Catalina. I use Ableton and it works perfectly.

I don't use Pro Tools, but the website says it works with Pro Tools, so I am guessing that it does. The website also says that support for Mbox 2 is not yet available but it works perfectly for me.

You can try the demo to see if it works for you. The demo version ouputs a "beep" every 30 seconds so its pretty much unusable. It will just verify if the full version works on your system. The full version is €59, which is a bit pricey for a software driver, but a lot cheaper than buying a new hardware interface as good as the MBox.

I have no affiliation with the third party. I just thought I might save some people forking out their hard earned cash for a new interface when the one they already have works fine.
Old 02-17-2021, 04:21 PM

Hello everyone,

I have 2 Mbox 3rd generation:

- Mini
- USB

Strange thing is the mini works straight from the box in Catalina, the usb doesn't . After last available install package, it gets to be recognized but no sound comes out of the box

Does anyone had success with the Mbox 3 USB in Catalina? I tried the procedure described in this post and seen on Youtube but I got no luck, it might only work for the Mbox 3 Pro. Is it too hard to change the driver/kext so that it works? The alternative demo drive it did not work for me too...

It is a pity that it does not work, I am already thinking of downgrade back to Mojave... Macs can be a pain sometimes with so much upgrades and updates...

Thanks in advance
BR
RR
Old 02-18-2021, 02:18 AM

You are completely right. It's annoying that Avid does not make sure to update the driver for their own products. I have written to them and the answer saying that I can just continue with Mojave, but I can not for the sake of other program and updates. The only option is to buy a new sound card. At the same time, Avid has doubled the price of its annual subscription to Protools. One is tempted to think that they do not want us as customers.
Old 02-18-2021, 02:24 AM

For every software you buy you can expect 3yr support. For every hardware you buy you can expect it working as long as it works. Cannot be a surprise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-18-2021, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
For every software you buy you can expect 3yr support. For every hardware you buy you can expect it working as long as it works. Cannot be a surprise

I expect more than 3 yrs support specially if I own a "lifetime" license...
That is exactly my point: The hardware still works :)!

From the device’s point of view, there’s nothing that makes it impossible not to work, there’s simply no will for it to work from the manufacturers perspective, so that you'll spend more money to buy something new (probably from another manufacturer)… I imagine it would take little time and money to make it to work in Catalina and future releases, or at least they could allow others to do so, instead of bricking such units... Well, I believe Windows (the driver is 4 years older than the Mac one) is getting at least one more supporter after all these years away from Microsoft... Windows 10 is giving me a good feel the past year even at a graphical work layout interface. There are two popular expressions in my mother tongue that I believe apply here nicely:"o ótimo é inimigo do bom/the great is an enemy of the good" and "porquê mexer no que está bom e funciona.../why mess with what's good and it works..." I don't like Apple / Avid's aggressive, self centered, autist commercial point of view. I think I have had enough. This is a business decision that is wrong to start off from an environmental point of view. I don't need the last design super super model I just need something that works that was just working fine before... Please fix it or tell us how to!

I will stick to my Mac Pro Mountain Lion Pro tools HD 10 and High Sierra or Mojave in my other Macs and be happy about it also with EyeTV 3 :) - as soon as I get the Mac Pro Power supply repaired - keeps shutting down at full load and it needs to rest 2 days to be able to start again- probably condensers but there so many of them inside the PSU - I would appreciate any smart clues :)
Software companies should find out other ways to be profitable - but maybe like someone already said we humans are a big mistake and that is probably the first reason of all the problems :)

Last edited by JFreak; 02-19-2021 at 12:07 AM. Reason: fixed the quote
Old 02-19-2021, 12:13 AM

In this case you have "lifetime license" to certain PT version, and it is supported on certain OS versions. If you wish to use more curent OS then your "lifetime license" is not working for you any more and need to update PT software to a version that is certified on the OS you wish to use. Simple as that. So, "lifetime license" means the lifetime of your original system.
Old 02-19-2021, 03:11 AM

Misleading publicity in my view