How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2017, 08:42 PM

Default Part of 4 measures of MIDI not playing back

I created 4 measures of midi bass line.

Then created audio track to record audio of bass from midi. (I've done this a zillion times successfully)

When I start RECORD..... with audio track set to record...

The first 2 measures of the midi bass notes do not play..... they do not show up as audio on the audio track.

The 3rd and 4th measures work perfectly. The midi plays back and the new audio track for bass records the bass notes. Very confusing.

I can't find any kind of setting anywhere that would cause the first 2 measures of the midi notes to not play.

I've checked velocity..... checked mute..... no weird settings at all. This is whack.

Any suggestions?

Pro tools 12.6 on Mac desktop; using el capitan

Everything in pro tools works fine except the first two measures of midi.
Old 09-30-2017, 05:11 AM

Default Re: Part of 4 measures of MIDI not playing back

Would help if you gave us a bit more info like what type of tracks are you using in all this? Most people when using a vi use an Instrument track to host both the vi and the MIDI. I'd suggest doing that; you should be able to play back the audio that the MIDI is triggering without using any other tracks.

If you are not using Instrument tracks but separate a separate aux track to host the vi and a MIDI track set to drive that MIDI track you should be able to playback the audio no problem provided you have PT prefs set to use first selected track in the MIDI prefs tab.

The key here is to make sure the playback is okay before rendering to audio. And in PT12 you have a myriad number of ways to do that. You have track freeze, commit, real time bounce, faster than real time bounce and lastly old-school where you manually record to an audio track.

QAPLA!
Old 09-30-2017, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonInLA12 View Post
I created 4 measures of midi bass line.

Then created audio track to record audio of bass from midi. (I've done this a zillion times successfully)

When I start RECORD..... with audio track set to record...

The first 2 measures of the midi bass notes do not play..... they do not show up as audio on the audio track.

The 3rd and 4th measures work perfectly. The midi plays back and the new audio track for bass records the bass notes. Very confusing.

I can't find any kind of setting anywhere that would cause the first 2 measures of the midi notes to not play.

I've checked velocity..... checked mute..... no weird settings at all. This is whack.

Any suggestions?

Pro tools 12.6 on Mac desktop; using el capitan

Everything in pro tools works fine except the first two measures of midi.
One suggestion fairly soon like ASAP update to Sierra---- El Cap has proven to be a very problematic OS for PT
For now (an this may not be it but ) Check to make sure you have "Pre Roll" set to 0 or turned off on your transport settings

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 10-04-2017, 01:39 PM

Default Re: Part of 4 measures of MIDI not playing back as audio records

Thanks for your help Jack.
I don't think my explanation is very clear. Please look at the screenshot attached.
I always create an audio track to record from midi track ... It always works.

If you look at screenshot.... when I hit RECORD (audio track is recording midi playback)... measures 11 and 12 do not record the audio from the midi track...
It begins recording on measure 13.... This makes no sense to me at all.

I have looked at all settings... "mute" "volume"
and "velocity" on midi track.....

The midi is triggering a Korg synthesizer.... not a VI....

It would seem that some level is turned down on measures 11 and 12... but I can't find anything.

I hope this is making sense. As you can see I'm not overly technical.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I checked pre-roll and that's not the problem, by the way.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 1.30.18 PM.png (23.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-04-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
I don't think my explanation is very clear. Please look at the screenshot attached.

If you look at screenshot.... when I hit RECORD (audio track is recording midi playback)... measures 11 and 12 do not record the audio from the midi track...

I have looked at all settings... "mute" "volume" and "velocity" on midi track.....

It would seem that some level is turned down on measures 11 and 12... but I can't find anything.

Why don't you use Instrument tracks instead of separate MIDI and aux tracks where the aux track hosts the vi in use? Would make things simpler to troubleshoot. See if that plays okay before you render the MIDI to audio. You've got some kind of automation going on there. Look at the event list for the MIDI track in use - there may be something there.

QAPLA!
Old 10-04-2017, 07:28 PM

for some reason.... your copy of my message does not include "the midi is triggering a korg synthesizer... not using VI"

If that makes a difference.... you're mentioning Instrument Tracks...
Old 10-05-2017, 04:21 AM

Quote:
for some reason.... your copy of my message does not include "the midi is triggering a korg synthesizer... not using VI"

If that makes a difference.... you're mentioning Instrument Tracks...
It doesn't include the info on using the Korg because it wasn't in your post when I made my reply. If you had included that in your first post in this thread we could have come up with better answers. There's no such thing as TMI when asking for help here. And yes it does make a difference whether you're using an external h/w synth or a softsynth.

How are you inputting notes in the MIDI track - by hand via mouse or playing them in via an external keyboard? If you're playing them in are you using consistent velocity on the keys? For that matter open the MIDI event list and check for consistency of velocity on each note. External synths can have different velocity curves they respond to. Do you have a volume pedal connected to the Korg?

QAPLA!
Old 10-05-2017, 07:04 AM

Quote:

I have looked at all settings... "mute" "volume"
and "velocity" on midi track.....

The midi is triggering a Korg synthesizer.... not a VI....

Humm strange. clear communication on a forum is often tricky, not to belabor the point or sound like a broken record but what exactly do you mean by '"checked pre roll" you do mean it is not highlighted in your transport yes?
The only reason I am repeating this ( and I could be totally wrong) is because the difference you are showing being exactly to bars/measures seems to me, suspiciously like a settings problem either in pre roll or punch in
In any case hope you get it sorted out....

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 10-05-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Humm strange. clear communication on a forum is often tricky, not to belabor the point or sound like a broken record but what exactly do you mean by '"checked pre roll" you do mean it is not highlighted in your transport yes?
The only reason I am repeating this ( and I could be totally wrong) is because the difference you are showing being exactly to bars/measures seems to me, suspiciously like a settings problem either in pre roll or punch in
In any case hope you get it sorted out....
There's a lot the op isn't clear on or is leaving out. Now that we know it's an external synth that could explain some things.

But would pre-roll do what is being shown in the screenshot? I thought pre-roll didn't actually record until hitting the punch-in point? I've not used it so don't know for sure.

QAPLA!
Old 10-05-2017, 06:11 PM

The MIDI on bars 11 & 12 is a separate clip - though judging by the colour of the notes, it doesn't look as if said clip is muted (switch to clips view, and see if that clip is greyed out).

Go to the Mix window, and from the display options at the bottom left, show instruments :

When you play bars 11 & 12 does the mini fader drop to zero, or the mini mute light come on?

Go to the Edit window, and display Realtime Properties :

Anything activated there that could effectively mute that MIDI?

Or are you saying that bars 11 & 12 playback properly, but when you try to print them to another track, they don't get recorded?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk