Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 10-10-2018, 09:43 AM

Default Re: Installing Pro Tools On Mojave

That's a great machine and I don't think a temporary software conflict should cause you to return it.

As everyone pointed out, Mojave is not yet approved by Avid. However I'm running PT 18.7 (Ultimate) on my MBPro with Mojave 10.14 and it seems fine, at least for my minimal needs.

And we can presume that Avid is working to catch up to the current Mac systems so it's only a matter of (hopefully) a short time before they do.

I arrived at this combination through an OS update so I can't guarantee the current PT installer won't choke on Mojave, but I am able to launch the 18.7 installer and get through the first few steps...
Old 10-10-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReynaldoPena View Post
pretty sure it came with high sierra 10.13 (which avid pro tool requirements' site also states to not be pro tools ready). looking to somehow speak to avid about mojave compatibility before going back to best buy though. if anyone has another number than the support you have to pay for number, it'd be immensely appreciated.
Even if there was another number to get in touch with Avid it won't help as they stopped all development on PT10 years ago. There will NEVER be a fix for PT10 to work on Mojave. As you've been told you're going to have to move up to a current version of PT. I'd hold on to the Mac you got and get current with PT. You'll be happier in the long run.

Actually there's an option but it's going to require a bit of work. Get a used/refurbished Mac from OWC like a 5,1 cheesegrater desktop or a Mac Mini and monitor screen. And hopefully find a copy of the OSX 10.8.5 or OSX 10.9.5 installer somewheres (try Amazon). With that you'll still be able to run PT10.

QAPLA!
Old 10-20-2018, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReynaldoPena View Post
I paid big bucks mainly because I know what generating big projects (wav files, audio editing, plug ins) can do to a computer.

Put some of that dollar into a new version of pro tools. Personally I would take the macbook back, get something the next level down, and pay for Pro Tools with the left over change. It seems like you're a beginner user, and it's unlikely you'll tax even an ancient system with what you're learning for at least a while. Running multiple WAVs at once hasn't been a problem for computers for at least two decades. If you have an SSD, even more so. The biggest sessions I ever did were on a q6600 core 2 duo, with an HDD and no SSD in Pro Tools 10...

Sure, the computer is great but you need the whole package to get comfortable and make progress. Really, all CPUs are pretty good these days. PT 12 and up seem way more efficient, I'm not sure why people are so desperate to make people buy such powerful devices that never get used to their full potential. You need an SSD, 8GB ram (if you're not into VIs, I've never understood why 16GB is the new minimum spec on paper, look at Activity Monitor!!! 32GB recommended is even more ridiculous) and literally any processor from the past 4 years. I have Pro Tools 2018 working fine even on my crappy i3 Windows laptop for on location work, tracking 32 inputs simultaneously but having the SSD makes the recording and playback much snappier, without the need for a RAM Cache.

It seems you've spent money on something you'll never actually need (hardware) while removing yourself from the software, the most important part needed to stay up to date. Considering the ridiculous cost of a MacBook in any spec, stepping down a bit will probably also allow you to get a better audio interface. A good interface with great drivers (RME!) is really one of the biggest pieces of the puzzle in terms of stability, at least I have found in the past 5 years. Once I went PCIe, I never heard a glitch sound ever again, never had a full lock up of the machine. I've heard great things about RME external devices too on any connection.

Finally, if you're about to use this machine for study, get an external drive or some sort of backup solution in place. MacBook data can't be easily recovered by pulling the drive.

Hackintosh: MacOS Catalina, i7 6700k, 32GB RAM, RX580
Pro Tools Studio, RME RayDAT PCIe
http://www.liamgaughan.com
Old 10-20-2018, 08:52 AM

Default Re: Installing Pro Tools 10 on Mojave

Guys, please follow the compatibility chart... That is the best advise for anyone
Old 10-20-2018, 09:32 AM

Any reason why my post was deleted?
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 10-20-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrekcor View Post
Any reason why my post was deleted?
It wasn't deleted, it was moved since you already had a thread about 2018.7 on Mojave and this thread is about Pro Tools 10 on Mojave.